Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

new brake rotors

Visiting Guest

07-27-02, 08:43 PM   #1  
crosswind
new brake rotors

many times i have replaced pads for front brakes. Currentyly, my truck, 1992 Ford F-150, 5.0 L, 4WD, needs new pads and new rotors. A friend told me to make sure I get the new rotors turned before installing them. Does that make sense? Isn't "turning" the equivalent of the original milling process to produce a smooth even surface for the pads to run on?

Sponsored Links

07-27-02, 10:46 PM   #2  
turning the rotors is done when you have warpage or when they are grooved to true up the surface, if you buy new rotors you do not have to turn them just install them and you may have to clean off any oil that the manufature sometimes coats them with to prevent them from rusting setting on the shelf. if you buy a quality brand rotors and pads you shouldnt have any problems.

Visiting Guest

07-27-02, 11:09 PM   #3  
knuckles
I agree w/ bejay.

Years ago it was a rule of thumb that new rotors should be machined prior to installation. Product quality has improved in the last 15 + years & it's no longer necessary to machine new rotors.

Buy quality parts & you shouldn't have a problem. The el-cheapo brand rotors can be more trouble than they're worth.

TX

07-28-02, 06:48 AM   #4  
just clean off and install

Nope I say just remove the stuff they put on to prevent rust with some solvent like brake parts cleaner and install.

Visiting Guest

07-28-02, 07:27 AM   #5  
Joe_F
If you buy quality Raybestos, Wagner or ITT replacements, you'll have no problem.

STAY AWAY from cheap off shore made rotors. They are junk. Only buy US or Canadian made replacements.

Search this Thread