Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Auto

Visiting Guest

07-28-02, 03:44 PM   #1  
Donna Fleaman
Auto

My 1987 Nissan Pickup won't start. I had the started checked and it showed it was good. I brougt the battery to the shop and had it checked it was a little low but they charged it and it was good. I went ahead and replaced the starter anyway. The truck still won't start and radio and lights work fine. You can her the starter click when you turn the key, but thats all. I do not know what else I could do.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-28-02, 06:32 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Check all the connections closely for corrosion and tightness.

Barring that, rap on the starter motor with a hammer. Now try cranking it. If it starts, the motor is defective. Pitch it and install a Nissan rebuilt one...better off, better quality.

Visiting Guest

07-29-02, 04:49 AM   #3  
Donna Fleaman
Joe-cool I already replaced the starter with a new one. Thats the problem. I have done every thing I can thing of and it still won't start.

Visiting Guest

07-29-02, 11:43 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Ya, I got that. However:

If the part didn't come in a Nissan box (remanufactured by Nissan), you may have a defective starter. Parts store starters vary in quality, some are crap out of the box. I have seen it time and time again.

Just because it's "new", doesn't mean it's GOOD.

Visiting Guest

08-02-02, 04:01 AM   #5  
Donna Fleaman
auto

Thanks for yorur help. Took truck to a shop. We found out it was the cluth switch. I should have gone to the shop first.

Search this Thread