Water in the oil

Old 07-29-02, 12:25 AM
busy bunny
Visiting Guest
Water in the oil

How can I tell if someone put water in my car's oil and what would happen to my car if there was any water in the oil?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 06:38 AM
Water is heavier then oil, so water will sink to the bottom of the oil pan. I would recommend draining and chaining the oil, along with the oil filter. It's a small price to pay. Water is a terrible lubricant, so it will cause a lot of internal wear.

Old 07-29-02, 09:32 AM
busy bunny
Visiting Guest
water in car oil

Thank you for replying to my question. I am worried that my husband would do something to disable my car since he has become interested in someone else and he is worried about me driving around and seeing him with her. What other things should I be aware of that he could do to my auto that wouldn't look suspicious but be extremely damaging to my vehicle. If you would help me to be aware, I could possible prevent the damage or pinpoint the problem before it destroys the auto. Thank you for your insight and for sharing your knowledge and experience. Please feel free to email me at [email protected]. You may be a lifesaver/car saver---smile!

Old 07-29-02, 10:06 AM
Does he have keys to your car? If so, change the locks on the car. You can use the excuse that you lost your key and that you were afraid that they would steal the car. Also, purchase a locking gas cap. Not a total protection, however, is a deterent. Get a book on your car, sometimes a wire can be pulled here there or yonder. Always check for fluids under your car. Helps to identify them if you get some brake fluid, see what it smells/looks like, same with oil, and transmission fluid. Pour a tiny bit of each on the ground to see how it sits or absorbs, etc. Mix a little water with each, as well as antifreeze to see what it looks like. Little awareness keeps paranoia away, honestly. Don't be afraid, just aware.

Been through it...

Kay

Old 07-29-02, 11:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Kay. Foil him if this is what you think his plan is. Then, go to the court and file an order of protection against him, that's what I would do!

Change the door and ignition locks on the car and install a locking gas cap. That will surely foil illfated attempts at sabotage.

Never thought there would be a love triangle sabotage thing in automotive forums like this.

Old 07-29-02, 01:20 PM
busy bunny
Visiting Guest
possible car sabotage

Thanks to both of you Joe and Kay. He doesn't have keys to my vehicle but we all know you don't necessarily need keys to obtain entrance to a car. I already have a locking gas cap on the auto, so no problem there. Unfortunately he knows more about cars than I do. Plus, in California, he says that if you're married, all property is community property. If you can think of anything else I should know or watch out for, please feel free to post your comments, ok? And once again, you have my utmost appreciation for your concern and advice. Lisa

Old 07-29-02, 02:09 PM
If you're not in the process of a divorce I doubt that he would take such drastic measures. Maybe cutting the wires, or simply pulling them to make it hard for you to get anywhere, but not totally disabling your vehicle.

Maybe invest in a car alarm. If he has to mess with anything to "unlock" it his way, then the alarm will alert you to this. It isn't impossible to pop a hood without access from the inside, but it can be pretty hard, unless he knows what he's doing.

Just be aware. Don't be afraid...most times that is what deceptive men start with.

If you're suspicions are that great, then please do as Joe recommended, get law enforcement involved, your friends and neighbors (the ones you can trust). I hate to tell people to lie, but sometimes it can protect you. Tell the neighbors that you saw someone hanging around your car....that you're afraid that they are going to steal it and to please help you watch it. If they oblige, even if it is your husband he will begin to feel the 'prying' eyes all around him. Then he will eventually become afraid and start messing up. That is, if he's really up to something. Fortunately for you, and unfortunately for him he will mess up in public and you will have your case. If that's what you really want. If you're lucky, he'll bury himself, and even bring his own shovel.

Kay

Ps. Check the possibility of the water in the oil being from something other than your husband. May have a leak that needs to be taken care of, simple as that. Hate for you to ruin your car by not covering other possible bases.

K.

Old 07-29-02, 04:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I suggest you talk to your husband about what's been going on in the car. Ask him "Honey have you checked the oil of late?" or other questions. Gauge his answers.

Get yourself a digital camera and that should be good enough to catch any problems or document any other issues you find, auto related, or ummmm, not (If you know what I mean).

I find it odd that a husband doesn't have the keys to a wife's car, and vice versa.

Here's what I would do:

1) Talk to your husband. If you want to save your marriage, this is the first step.

2) If you suspect he is filandering, then I suggest you get law enforcement involved or hire a private eye. They can legally and descretely find out things you never knew they could. They can use a lot of tactics, including deception (but not to say they are cops). You might find out things that will solidify your case.

3) Talk to neighbors and family/friends you can trust and as Kay says, put them on watch. Choose your allies carefully and keep a select few in your company to avoid snitching and leaking. That's why I suggest the private eye. You're paying good money, but it's worth it.

4) On the car end, keep your keys where they cannot be found. Get a safe and lock your keys in there each night out of reach. Then, hide the safe key. This way, you have double protection.

Kay is right. Make sure the car doesn't have mechanical problems first. Have it towed to a mechanic, and explain the situation in person to the owner. Tell him to change the oil and antifreeze and advise of any problems. Get his statement in writing on the bill such as, "No problems found with compression or gaskets. Apparent sabotage by putting water in the oil by unknown person(s)"

If a judge saw that in court with everything else going on, the book will be thrown at the guy real quick.

Good luck and let us know.

<-------Private Eye Joe Cool.

Old 07-29-02, 05:53 PM
wow joe, where were you when i needed you!

hats off to you!

Kay

Old 07-29-02, 11:17 PM
busy bunny
Visiting Guest
water in car oil

Dear "Privite Eye" Joe--
What a perceptive person you are for reading between the lines!! I know some of the things people have been know to do to others cars, ie; sugar in the gas tank, etc. and I just wanted to be aware of some of those and other things that have been done and how the car starts acting when these things are done to a vehicle. Suppose I'm driving and the car starts smoking, or acts jerky or whatever, and if that should ever happen, I would like to know beforehand so that I can make an education guess as to what to do and what the problem may be. If, GOD forebid, he should do something to the car, maybe if I knew what to look for, I could stop in time and prevent further damage. He and I have not been talking much for awhile now, and he has told me I am on my own as far as anything family or personal related is concerned. He may still live here, but his thoughts and feelings are with another. I'm not sure who he is seeing but there is someone whom he is spending his time with and calling. He seems really concerned that I not know what he is doing and has 'warned' me that I should stay at home and not come looking for him. This is not something I would do anyway as I have a daughter to take care of, work to go to and a house to look after. I do not have time for childish games, but am concerned that he would resort to trying to keep me from being able to go where I need to go as a way to protect himself. He is a very selfish person much of the time and has been known to get very angry and violatile. You have given me much to think about, Joe and also you too Kay. I would still like to know about the things I described above, and if you have any information you could share with me, I would be forever in your debt. (Not that I'm forever in your debt already! How can I thank you both for caring so much and you don't even know me. God bless both of you
Lisa

Old 07-30-02, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No private eye here, but I've seen them in action . Lol.

Just be prepared. If someone tells you, "Don't come out and look for me", to me, that means they are up to something they don't want you to find out.

You might take an automotive course (a basic) one at the local college or high school and learn a bit about things. Also, contact the ASE (Automotive Society of Excellence), they have consumer pamphlets on women and cars. (educational ones). I'm sure they will send them free of charge or you can download them at www.ase.org (Or www.asecert.org)

Either way, to me, it sounds like you want a private eye on your side. I suppose you could also call the local TV channel news "Shame on You" if you talk to them and they suspect that you are truthful and this is really happening. They love fodder like that, but be aware your whole town will know your business then!

I say use the private eye, pay the money and get the results you might need in court. After you are divorced, sabotage is a criminal charge!

Old 07-30-02, 05:09 AM
busy bunny
Visiting Guest
water in car oil

Ok Joe, I think I will take your advice and call someone to check this out. Once again I thank you for caring and giving me some sound direction. If in the near future there is any information breaking-smile-I will come back and let you know. In the meantime, I will just have to wait and worry, I suppose. Take care in New York and God Bless!
Lisa

Old 07-30-02, 06:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Ok, good luck and let us gumshoes know

Old 07-30-02, 08:06 AM
Joe,

I'm glad that you read between the lines. After my post, I edited it since I thought I was reading more into than was there and was going to make someone paranoid.

Funny thing about you mentioning taking auto mech at the local community college. Several years ago I decided to go to college. I was going to take computer programming. Something inside of me sent me to the general automotive table when registering. Best 'rash' or 'impulse' move I've made in my life.

I didn't go into a lot of details of my life with my instructor, but, he too could read between the lines. My first lesson: how to reinstall my spark plug wires, and my coil wire. Anyway, helped me a lot in other ways, too. My self esteem grew tremendously just knowing more than how to put the oil in, or gas.

I don't want anyone to ever get paranoid, just awareness. Men do some stupid things when they are feeling guilty (women do too). Usually just making bumps in the road.

Busy Bunny, hang in there. Take care of your daughter. It sounds like you got the best part of the marriage anyway: her. If you ever just feel like venting, we have a forum for that too. Chats and Whines. Unfortunately you see a lot of posts from me there as well. And this forum is one my favorite places too.

Kay

Old 07-30-02, 09:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Kay:

Knowledge is power, and I'm convinced of it.

I rebulit an old wall oven for my mother from 1968 (read about it on the appliance forum). She likes the thing and it's spotless and works like new, but recently I had to put new door hinges and springs on it. Only after I did my own homework and hooked up with three helpful folks (one of whom is moderator Jeff W of this forum), did I find what I needed and get it rolling.

Maytag and their "recommended" contacts all came up empty including one guy that told me, "You'll never find the parts microfiche, parts, or repair that unit". Idiots like this unfuriate me like no end, and I'm a pretty calm guy for a New Yorker .

My answer, "Not only will I find the film, the parts, and fix the unit, I'm going to stick in your face something fierce pal. Thank goodness the gene pool is unique. No need to have two useless clowns like you around". I promptly called Maytag and told them to get rid of this guy as a recommended source. I have never met a more ignorant or idiotic man in my life. I KNEW more than he did.

Needless to say the unit works like new and I got the parts from Maytag (even after they said I couldn't..lol).

Bravo for the DIY guy

So, knowledge is power , in fact, Maytag will be sending me 30 bucks for their mistake, so I fixed this unit for that much less

Old 07-30-02, 09:29 AM
I read that post! I'm fixing to head back over there to get Jeff to help me with my dishwasher. I really need to fix that silly thing. Kind of scared of it, but I believe if I take the time to learn about it, it will be a piece of cake. He gave me some info before in a post but I never got around to fixing it. I felt like it was too big of a job for a woman, BUT if I can replace leaf springs on my truck, replace the tie rods and brake pads/calipers on my truck, can even build a doghouse big enough for 3 dogs....this shouldn't be a problem either. Knowledge is power.

Am so tired of handwashing dishes for 5 people. Am also going to get me one of those handy-dandy repair books, too. Who knows, I may even get around to installing the disposal that I purchased back in March. Electrical forum guys gave me step by step, blow by blow instructions on how to wire the existing outlet for the disposal switch....I'm going to wire it so that the dishwasher and disposal can't run at the same time. Don't want to overload the circuits in this old house. Just love these forums!

Kay

Old 07-30-02, 10:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It is.

My mother was telling me the other day, "You know, you have a cousin that you never met that runs a gas station here in NYC. I'm going to introduce you guys (young guy like me). I'll bet the two of you would be a smash getting along and chatting cars".

I would be happy to share my knowledge with this relative of mine, since I've been doing it a long time. In turn one hand may wash the other and maybe I could use his lift in a pinch if I had to!

Jeff is great. He is very knowledgable and helpful as well.

I too have some electrical work to do. WGoodrich and the guys are great. I have helped some of them here (or guys that post there) and didn't even know it .

Old 07-31-02, 02:37 AM
judah363
Visiting Guest
Oil and Water

Oil in the water or water in the oil, is either cause by .........A blown head gasket, or a cracked engine block; both can be a result from running over heated.....Have your car checked

Major; although a block sealer can help you alone the way until you can have that problem taken care of.

as you were advised earlier: change the oil, check the cooling system for milking ( a white build-up under the cap, if so; flush the cooling system, and apply block sealer in the cooling system

Old 08-01-02, 08:13 PM
busy bunny
Visiting Guest
Water in car oil

Much obliged for the information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and helpful tips.