Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'96 Mercury Tracer Solenoid Problem

Visiting Guest

07-29-02, 10:28 AM   #1  
dbelcher
'96 Mercury Tracer Solenoid Problem

Hello, I have a '96 Mercury Tracer that has been acting funny lately. It almost seems like the car doesn't want to shift at times. This usually happens only after driving it for a while. Either it stays in a low gear and the RPMs skyrocket, or it stays in a high gear and I tap the accelerator and it jumps forward. I took it to the shop and they ran a computer check on it and said that Solenoid A was reporting a problem.
Now, does this mean that all I need to do is replace the bad solenoid? How do I do this? Or might there be something worse that's wrong?

I know very little about cars, but would rather try to replace this thing myself than pay a lot for someone else to do it if it's something easily done.

Thanks,
Darrick

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-29-02, 11:09 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Depending on the solenoid, it's pretty straightforward, but I suggest you have it done if your knowledge is minimal. The trans pan has to come down and you have to install a new gasket and solenoid, assuming that's what it is.

You're looking at maybe 150 to do the whole job at a shop. Might be cheaper and less frustrating to have it done.

See the autolibrary link I have below to see if they have anything on it.

Search this Thread