73 Scout II rough running when warm

Old 07-29-02, 10:57 AM
73 Scout II rough running when warm

73 International Scout II V8 304 engine AT 4x4. Runs normal when cool but after running about 8 minutes, it will act as if it is running on 4 cylinders and backfiring. I have checked the vacuum lines several times and the one cracked line I repaired did not fix the problem. New air filter, spark plugs, wires dist. cap and rotor. Thermostat operating normally and temperature of coolant after shutting it off for 10 minutes reads 145 degrees. does anyone know if this could be a malfunctioning polution control device? What would a defective EGR valve do? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 11:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Plug the EGR line momentarily when it's hot and see if that helps. If so, bad EGR valve.

Another possibility is a weak control module or pickup in the distributor. When it gets hot, it can't dissipate heat and starts to quit. My guess is ignition related.

That and make sure there are no fuel lines near anything hot. If so, vapor lock will also occur.

Old 07-29-02, 11:27 AM
73 scout II

Thanks for the info! I had some exhaust leaks and fixed them thinking it could be taking exhaust fume back into the engine or overheating a fuel line but it happened again. This machine is old enough to just have the old points and condensor in it. Could they react to heat and cause the problem?

Old 07-29-02, 11:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure. Points went out with bellbottoms (the first time, they're back now...lol) and mood rings.

You might consider converting this old beast to electronic ignition. Petronix makes a conversion kit. It will look stock and is easy to do. Worth it.

My uncle used to drive these beasts for the city of NY back in the 70's and 80's. They were the staple of the fleet in the city back then. Tough little trucks, but the ROT they succumb to is UNREAL.

Old 07-29-02, 11:58 AM
Thanks again. Can you get the conversion kit anywhere or do you recomend some place special. Parts for this are getting really hard to find now. Your right about the rust. Fortunately they last longer when you live in a desert and don't take it into town much in the winter any more.

Old 07-29-02, 04:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Look up "Petronix Electronic Conversion Kits" on www.google.com and they can probably hook you up with a part # and where to buy it if you e-mail them.

If not, try J.C. Whitney. They probably have it too.