Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rear hatch pulldown motor

FL

07-29-02, 12:36 PM   #1  
rear hatch pulldown motor

I have a 1986 firebird coupe. I had to replace the plastic housing around the pulldown motor, which was cracked so the latch would not close all the way. After I replaced the housing the motor went in the down position and now when I try to reset it to come up there is a clicking sound that comes from the relay switch that is part of the power supply, so I replaced it with a new relay and it still clicks and the motor is still stuck in the down position. I don't want to replace the motor if it doesn't need to be done cause it is $100 or so, and so I need to know if I can test that motor some way before ordering something I don't really need? No fuses were blown either with the clicking, so I am at a loss as to where to go next. Can someone give me some insight to this?

Thanks, Fritoguy15

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-29-02, 12:41 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Have you tried to bypass the dash switch and see if that helps? If so, bad dash switch. May not be working all the way.

Rear hatch problems are common on 3rd gen F cars .

FL

07-29-02, 12:58 PM   #3  
What do you mean bypass the dash switch, do I need to remove the dash cover to get at the back of the switch and unplug it or what?

Fritoguy15

Visiting Guest

07-29-02, 04:40 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Take out the dash switch and install a jumper wire between the two terminals on the wires going to it. If it pops the hatch properly, the switch is wiped.

FL

07-30-02, 02:15 PM   #5  
Thank-you. I'll give that a try. I will let you know how that comes out.

Fritoguy15

FL

07-31-02, 01:04 PM   #6  
Joe, I took off the dash and unhooked the switch for the hatch release, then jumped the wires and still got the same clicking noise,and the brake warning light came on. The hatch still did not come up. Where do I go from here?

Fritoguy15

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 01:16 PM   #7  
Joe_F
See if you have power going to to the motor in the rear. Also bring power TO the motor and if it works, the problem is no power to the motor.

These third gen hatches are VERY pesky

FL

08-04-02, 05:48 AM   #8  
I have power to the motor. I am not sure what you mean by bringing power to the motor? When I plug the connector to the motor is when I get the clicking sound from the relay switch and the motor does nothing, does that mean a bad motor ? I tested the power plug for power when it is unplugged from the motor, and had power. What do you think?

Fritoguy15

Visiting Guest

08-04-02, 08:51 AM   #9  
Joe_F
You might order last month's "High Performance Pontiac". They have 3rd generation (82 to 92) rear hatch tech articles there.

Bring power from the battery to the motor. Does it work OK? If so the motor is fine. If not, the hatch motor may be jammed or pieces broken (common).

FL

08-05-02, 11:58 AM   #10  
Joe:
Here is what I did so far. I took the motor out of the housing and put power to it straight from the battery and it worked fine. So I started to put it back together after cleaning it out . After pluging in the relay that sits on top of the motor I tested it again and it still worked. So I assembled the shaft to the first frame that holds the power cords and relay switch, and upper switch, first I tested the power with the relay unplugged and the motor worked, then I plugged in the power cord to the motor and tested it at the ground and power plug and the motor did not work and I got the clicking from the relay again. I tested the upper switch that is part of the latch and it still didn't work. None of the wires seem to be bad or cut on that switch, so my only conclusion is that the relay switch I replaced is bad also, so I am getting another one tomorrow and will try it. Any more ideas? Also can you tell me if that upper switch if I need to replace it how do those wires come out they seem to be not plugged in to it but I am not sure.

Fritoguy15

Visiting Guest

08-05-02, 12:40 PM   #11  
Joe_F
Sounds like you are on the right track. You might want to pick up a spare setup from another F body car (Camaro or Firebird) from the yard to have for parts.

These things are VERY pesky!

FL

08-19-02, 09:36 AM   #12  
Joe: Sorry I haven't been back in awhile, I put in the new relay and still had problems, so today I took it to my mechanic and we found that there was no power to the relay that I replaced. So on his schematic it showed there were 2 more relays up in the dash running from the dash switch,then to the back . Problem is we could not find either relay where they were supposed to be in the dash. We took it all apart and traced the wires from the dash switch, and still no relays. Do you have any knowledge as to where they might be? It has to be one of those relays that's bad because it's not blowing any fuses and like I said earlier there is no power to the relay in the back. If we know exactly where they were we could save some time and labor looking for them.

Fritoguy15

Visiting Guest

08-19-02, 01:24 PM   #13  
Joe_F
Just call up any GM dealer and they will give you the location of them...the parts book should show it right away. Easiest way to do it.

Search this Thread