99 silverado driver door liner removal

Old 07-29-02, 01:57 PM
redbiker_co
Visiting Guest
99 silverado driver door liner removal

The power window on the driver door of my 99 Silverado has quit working properly. it only goes part way up before stopping. If i jiggle the window glass, I can get it to to up a bit more. I am trying to remove the door liner panel to access the window and see if it off track or what. I removed 2 screws, one inside the handlegrip and one from the bottom of the panel. Now what? I can't get the liner off, a post here for a ford said to push up on the panel to unhook the plastic hangers. Haven't tried this yet but will. Any other suggestions about accessing the window and the window problem itself greatly appreciated.
Myles

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 04:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
1999 vehicle....put it back together. Should be covered by the GM factory warranty for free. Shouldn't happen to a 3 year old truck regardless of mileage.

Barring that, and I think you'd get somewhere, check the autolibrary.org link I have posted below.

Old 07-29-02, 11:17 PM
merlo
Visiting Guest
I can't remember exactly what this door panel looks like, but basically it should have a couple of screws to remove. Then there are a few pieces that snap off or are held with plastic clips, such as around the door handle, at the top corner opposite the mirror, etc. You'll have to remove the power switch panel as well. On most GM vehicles, the panel itself is held with plastic clips. Pry straight out on the door panel carefully on the bottom and sides to release these clips, then lift up to remove the panel. As for the window problem, it could be several different things.It could be a problem with the regulator, which uses a cable, or it could be a weak window motor. But if the truck is still under warranty, I would do as Joe suggested.

Old 07-30-02, 01:19 AM
redbiker_co
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. appreciate the prompt replies. I discovered that I had to remove the plastic panel opposite the mirror and that behind the electrical switch panel for windows, etc was a third screw. After that, I did have to push up on the entire door panel to get the plastic hooks to release.
The truck has 69000 miles,and had 43000 on it when I bought it in Sep. It is out of warranty as far as I know. The dealer where I bought it told me it was out. Guess I'll check with local dealer anyway. I bought it in SC and now live in CO.
thanks again,
Myles

Old 07-30-02, 03:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Even though it is out of warranty, you might get a "goodwill" repair. That is, you argue to the dealer that this shouldn't happen to a 3 year old truck and that you are disappointed with GM's quality,etc, etc.

If the dealer goes for it, they will fix it for free or go half with you on the repair as customer "goodwill".

Old 07-31-02, 06:14 PM
merlo
Visiting Guest
After removing the door panel, were you able to determine the cause of the window problem? Just wondering.

Old 08-01-02, 10:35 PM
redbiker_co
Visiting Guest
personally, not a clue. After a minor incident of getting ran off the road and needing towed out of a ditch--the afternoon of taking the door off--, the mechanic who towed me out looked at it and said it may be out of alignment, he didn't see anything broken but didn't work on windows so wasn't sure. I figure when I get it to the body shop to fix the bumper, after insurance claim is paid, I'll let them look at it and see. Maybe I can talk him into fixing it, and not telling the ins. co so they'll pay for it. hmmm, did I say that here? noway, that's probably illegal... LOL
Myles