1978 Chev Malibu Engin Noise

Old 07-29-02, 09:17 PM
djohnst3
Visiting Guest
1978 Chev Malibu Engin Noise

I AM GETING A TICKING SOUND FROM THE 305 V8 ENGINE WHEN SITING STILL. IT APPEARS TO BE COMMING FROM THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE. I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING TO NO AVAIL.REMOVED ALL BELTS SO ONLY ENGINE IS TURNING. REMOVED FUEL PUMP AND PUSH ROD. TIGHTENED DOWN EACH VALVE ROCKER ARM TILL ENGINE SLOWS DOWN IN CASE SLACK WAS IN THE LIFTER ASSEMBLY.REMOVED ONE SPARKPLUG LEAD AT A TIME WHEN RUNNING.COMPRESSION 130-140 ON ALL CYLINDERS. TICK LOUDNESS DOESN'T CHANGE UNDER LOAD. ENGINE HAS A LOT OF MILES BUT WAS RUNNING QUIETLY WHEN LAST SHUT DOWN AND WAS TICKING ON STARTUP. NEW OIL DIDNT CHANGE EITHER.NOISE DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE COMMING FROM VALVE COVER AREA.HAS A FAIRLY NEW OIL PUMP AND PRESSURE IS GOOD.ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO PROBLEM AND FIX.STARTS GOOD AND DOESNT SEEM TO LACK POWER. NOT BURNING OIL.WONDER IF IT COULD BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE TIMMING CHAIN OR THAT AREA?? I'VE RUN OUT OF IDEAS SHORT OF PULLING THE ENGINE AND STRIPPING IT DOWN, WHICH I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO AT THIS STAGE OF ITS LIFE SINCE ITS A 1978 OLDIE AND NOT WORTH PUTTING IN A REBUILD.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 11:02 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
You say the ticking does not get louder under load....Does the speed of the ticking sound increase as rpm's increase?

Old 07-30-02, 03:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I think I know where Mike is headed and I agree.

It could be an exhaust leak. Burned out exhaust manifold gaskets, rotten heat riser, hole in the pipes, etc. I would say there before anywhere else. However, Chevy V8's are known to sound like typewriters (lifters always clatter).

If the rest of the body is in good shape, this car IS worth a rebuild. You won't find a more simple, solid and wonderfully easy car to work on like this.

This is one solidier to keep in service. I mourned the day they stopped making them this simple. Lol