Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fuel line ( '66 Mustang )

07-30-02, 07:11 AM   #1  
fuel line ( '66 Mustang )

When I disconnect fuel line coming from the tank at the fuel pump, shouldn't fuel run out of the line unless something between the tank and pump is blocked? Can't get fuel to the carb, and am not sure if the pump is bad or if the line is clogged. I tried a hose from the intake side of pump to a container of gas on the ground, bypassing the fuel tank. Cranked it several rev's, still no luck.

Sponsored Links

07-30-02, 07:20 AM   #2  
Fuel usually won't run out when you dissconnect the line, maybe a little. You said it won't pump from the container, bad pump, fuel pump eccentric.
Are you checking with the line dissconnected from the carb?

Larry

Visiting Guest

07-30-02, 09:15 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Put the line into a clear gas jar. Shield your eyes. Have someone crank it over. If there's no fuel flow, Larry is correct on his analysis.

07-30-02, 09:42 AM   #4  
I first tried it with line off carb and put into a jug. Got very little fuel in corner of the jug. I then tried bypassing the tank with a gas can on the ground with the line going to the pump. Didn't even fill the see-thru gas filter. I drive this car home when I bought it, but it was hard to start at first. Now it seems it has just quit pumping. Heheh, told my wife i was lucky to make it home with it. I was thinking of pulling the part in the tank out to check the strainer since it has been parked so long, but I'm thinking it should have pumped gas when I by-passed the tank. When I had the pump out and tried to pump it by hand, it did not seem to have much up and down to the rod, but it did spit a little gas out that was still in the pump. I think it must just be weak (bad ).

P.S. Another reason I suspected the strainer in th etank is that when I blew air back through the line toward the tank, the rubber part of the line swelled some before bubbles could be heard in the tank.

Visiting Guest

07-30-02, 10:34 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Your best bet is to pitch all the metal lines for new ones from Fine Lines, Classic Tube or Inline Tube. They make up OEM and stainless steel prebent lines that will outlast the car. Lol. I bought my fuel pump to carb line from Inline and it's exact, in stainless steel for 22 bucks. They have all the lines you can want and they make up whatever they don't have a pattern for.

Might want to drop the tank and sent it out to a radiator shop for boiling out. Heck, just replace the tank. It's probably just as cheap.

You can trip over Mustang parts for the originals like this, they are so cheap.

I would have gotten my kid (I don't have any...lol) a Firebird or Camaro as a first car though. Lol. My sister's first car was almost a 1968 Camaro 327 with factory A/C. My dad was ready to buy it but heard a noise in the rear end and he passed on it. It was a cool old car! She got a 1974 Gold Duster (complete with snakeskin vinyl roof and VERY cold A/C) instead which my dad fixed up for her and it ran great .

07-30-02, 10:39 AM   #6  
One of my oldest son's first cars was a '79 Camaro. He outran a few mustangs in it.

I had a '68 or '69 Firebird. Six banger, but that thing was sharp with chrome slotted wheels and 60's on the back.

Visiting Guest

07-30-02, 10:47 AM   #7  
Joe_F
If it was an OHC Pontiac 250, it would be worth something at this point. Pretty odd and rare, a good conversation piece in the Pontiac circles.

I even helped a guy get one running that had fit one into a boat. Lol!!

As for me, give me a 400 Convertible with all the goodies and I'm Ok. I'm much more into the 2nd generation (1970 to 1981) models as I have three of them, including a rare 10th Anniversary 400 Pontiac with a 4 speed. All numbers matching .

I also have a 1980 Turbo 301 with 26k original (my mother's car from new..my dad bought for their 15th wedding anniversary in 1980) and a 1980 Turbo (was originally) T top with a 400 out of a 77 LeMans. That thing can bark when you blip the throttle .

07-31-02, 03:09 AM   #8  
If it was an OHC Pontiac 250

Seems like it did have OHC in it when I got it. A buddy and I was in his car one day and was in the wrong lane at the wrong time and had reached speed of 115 mph in his '64 Malibu Super Sport. Afew months later , since that engine was almost out of the Malibu anyway ( still in the car, but all the mounts were broken ) My dad bought the 327 and we had it put in the Pontiac. Made a trip to Florida to see my wife's brother and it started giving trouble on the way back. We had to turn around and go back to his place in Florida. It seemed to run better when we were going back to his place. Later when he moved back to Alabama, he wanted the car. Since he liked the car and the car seeme dto like him, I sold it to him. Actually I let him take over what was left of a $600 note on it. I had given $300 or $350 for the car, but had borrowed $600 on it. He fixed the broken ring (over hauled the engine ) and drove it for quite a while.

Learned a lesson on that deal. If you let someone assume a loan, let them get their own loan in their own name! Wife learned that with her sister on a car deal too ( I hope ).
Live and learn.

07-31-02, 03:44 AM   #9  
Okay, back to the subject at hand . I took the fuel line off at the tank. Gas ran out of tank like I would expect it to. While inspecting th eline, I noticed a place near the front where ithe metal line crosses the frame had been hit and almost closed off. Seems like there should be something protecting the line there.

I got a new pump, ran the line from a container on the ground again, and still had to prime and start several times before the filter would fill fill with gas and finally get gas to the carb. Then I have to still prime to start. I think it is carb over haul time. The accelerator pump seems weak. I'm hoping the cam is not worn. The engine sounds very strong when accelerating
The fuel pump made me think of a Dodge pump I had to replace a couple of times after it had sit for a while. The diaphram would go bad and let gas get in the oil. Sure enough, this was mentioned on some of the papers that came with the new pump. I checked the oil for gas, didn't seem to be any in it. But the gas would disappear from the clear gas filter, and I have to wonder where it was going. I mean the filter would look bone dry.

Search this Thread