Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

part numbers

07-30-02, 07:16 AM   #1  
part numbers

Do different part numbers mean the parts in guestion are different? Not knowing for sure what model my engine is, I looked up a fuel pump for a '70 and a '77 302 Ford engine and got two different numbers.

The engine has 4 bolts on the crank pulley. so I assume it is '69 or later from info from a Mustange site.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-30-02, 09:18 AM   #2  
Joe_F
That's a loaded question .

Part A may look like this, part B like this. However, part B may supersede part A, meaning B covers everything A does.

Boman, I believe you fix (or at least on the side) appliances for a living? As I have seen you in Jeff's forum, you know what the term "subs" or "supersedes to" is in appliance parts? Same thing here in automotive. Very similar.

However, yes 302 parts can differ through the years. Find out what the vehicle is (what engine is from what, tranny from what, etc) before diving in. On a non-original car, you will be best to bring the old parts to the store with you. In the case of a fuel pump, there are #s on the parts that the parts person can use to find you the right part by seeing the old one.

07-30-02, 09:58 AM   #3  
Boman, I believe you fix (or at least on the side) appliances for a living? As I have seen you in Jeff's forum, you know what the term "subs" or "supersedes to" is in appliance parts

Yes to all the above.

The reason I ask about the numbers is I have another 302 engine ('77 ), and was thinking of trying the fuel pump from the '77 on the one in guestion as I have pretty much determined it is above '69. If that solved the problem, then go get new one. Heck, a new one is in order anyway since I plan to try and restore it for my daughter. At least get it safe.

In the case of a fuel pump, there are #s on the parts that the parts person can use to find you the right part by seeing the old one.

Looked for numbers on the bad pump last night. I may need to look again in the daylight and clean it off, I could not see anything on it last night with just my outside lights on. Actually I do not know if it is even the right one for it as I do not kno wwhat all has been changed yet. It did get me home before it decided to quit. Seemed then like it ran better with the 'petal to the metal' so to speak.
I think I need to get this baby off the ground so I can get a good look-see for block numbers, etc.

Visiting Guest

07-30-02, 10:26 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sounds like a plan. Let us know what you find.

07-30-02, 10:32 AM   #5  
Hey, Joe.

Found the numbers on the old pump. Match them up with some pumps at Auto Zone. Same one they show for a '69 and '70, if I remember correctly. Prop a few more too. Wife says ' "we don't need to spend anymore on that car right now." $1,000 for the car, $1000 for the wheels. But I think I'll just mosey on out ot the parts house while she is away .

By the way the number on this pump is 40344. The first one Auto Zone shows for a match or replacement is 6588.

Visiting Guest

07-30-02, 10:37 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Those are aftermarket type numbers. By that I mean it seems to have been replaced down the line.

6588 sounds like Carter or Airtex (one might use the other's numbering system). Carter used to put a logo on their part or the word CARTER stamped on it, sometimes the actual sales number (starts with an M for mechanical in the Carter line) 40344 sounds like Airtex, Kem or some other competitor.

Carter was an OEM supplier to Ford at that time, so depending on what it is, match it carefully.

Don't rush on the Mustang. Take a year to go through it. You'll uncover bevies of problems because it is old, it's been sitting and it's FORD .

Good luck and keep us posted.

07-30-02, 10:43 AM   #7  
FORD

Fix Or Repair Daily, you mean?

I have always had good luck with their trucks. Not much experience with the cars except for a '67 Fairlane ( good car ) and a 65 Mustang. Didn't keep the Mustang long.

Visiting Guest

07-30-02, 10:44 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Lol. Each person has their likes and dislikes.

I just buy from the world's #1 car company .

Search this Thread