No Oil Pressure

Old 07-30-02, 09:56 AM
demarcojoy
Visiting Guest
Angry No Oil Pressure

I have a 1988 Chevy Cavalair Convertible. 6 cylinder. Automatic. When I bought it, it ran great....no tics nothing. Small oil leak but no biggy. 3 days after I bought it, no oil pressure. Doesn't stay running when idle. There still is oil and no oil leakage noted. Trans fluid is full. Why no oil pressure? Someone suggested a main bearing. Could that be? What are the signs of a main bearing going? Or could it be the oil pump or the oil filter?

Please help me!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-02, 10:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I assume you mean it reads zero on the gauge on the dash? If so, you could have a bad sending unit.

Have a mechanic check it out, change the sending unit and verify the engine oil pressure with a hand held gauge.

If his test checks out OK, the sender was probably bad.

If his check reveals no oil pressure, the engine has internal problems.

Old 08-01-02, 12:50 PM
demarcojoy
Visiting Guest
It does have oil pressure

but it will not start. Had it started yesterday but couldn't keep it running for very long. It did run once reved up a bit. Usually will stall out. Is it the fuel injecters maybe? When it was running there wasn't any knocking or tics.

Old 08-01-02, 01:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with my post "The Basics" and Autolibrary.org as I have it bookmarked below.

Tell us what you find.

Old 08-02-02, 08:42 PM
I am not sure about the years,,, but,, some gm's have the fuel injection system power routed thru the oil pressure guage. Its for saftey,,, if the engine isnt running the fuel pump wont run. So,, if you put a mechanical guage on it and check for oil pressure ,,, which is good,,, the fuel pump relay isnt working from the oil press switch-sender,, so,,, if this is the case by-pass the sender or just put a new one on since it appears to be bad anyway and see if it starts.

Old 08-02-02, 08:45 PM
I think if it has 3 wires on 2 posts going to the sender it is one of those types. Without looking all this up its just a guess,,, just remember something like this before.

Old 08-02-02, 08:48 PM
One more thing,,if it was running before you took sender out and use mechanical guage,,,, you can test again by putting the old sender back in and see if it starts.

Search this Thread