94 Ford Explorer Sport motor won't turn over

Old 07-31-02, 06:45 AM
Susan Bailey
Visiting Guest
94 Ford Explorer Sport motor won't turn over

The wire that runs off the battery cable and to the solenoid touched the part of the cable that is attached to the battery. The motor attempted to turn over, and the key was not even in the ignition! Then smoke came up from where the starter is located. Now the motor won't even attempt to turn over. When I turn the key, it only clicks, the motor does not try to turn. There is a good connection to the battery. Lights are bright, radio plays, A/C fan blows, etc.

I was told that it might be the solenoid. I was told a way to check it was to take a metal wire and touch the smallest stud (these are layman's terms), and touch the positive battery cable. I did this and it sparks and clicks, but the motor does not turn over. Does this mean the solenoid is good? Is it possible that the starter burned up?

I hope this is enough info. Please answer in a hurry, this is my only mode of transportation.

Old 07-31-02, 09:35 AM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Susan, go to the link below, type in your vehicle year and model, click enter. Click on the 2wd or 4wd, 2dr or 4dr, click on "engine electrical", click on "starting system", click on "starter". This will give you a great troubleshooting guide, as well as R&R procedures.

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 07-31-02, 01:37 PM
Susan Bailey
Visiting Guest
Ford Explorer

Thanks Mike S. The site you sent me too was very helpful. By the way it was the starter. Replaced it and everything is go for now.

God bless,
Susan

Old 07-31-02, 02:05 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest

Susan, You are very welcome. That is what we are here for...to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: