Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

distributor

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 10:32 AM   #1  
toddy
distributor

Hi, I have a 1992 Mitsubishi Mirage 1.5 litre 4 cyl automatic, and I was curious if replacing the distributor is something that i could do myself at home or should i let a auto shop put it in for me.
thanks
todd

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 11:10 AM   #2  
JackMaster
Yes, this is something you can do at home. Are you replacing the distributor with an OEM distributor or aftermarket? And why are you wanting to change it?

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 12:05 PM   #3  
toddy
I am replacing it becuase my car will not start, at first i thought it was the battery so i went and had it checked and found out i needed a new one so i replaced it. The car still wouldnt start and by the sound of it, it wasn't the altenator so i look at the fuel pump and that was ok. So i called a repair shop and they said it was probably the distributor. They said they could fix but i had to find the part so i started to think that maybe i could do it myself. About the OEM or aftermarket distributor, I dont know, but i ordered the part from auto zone the other day. Thank you for the reply i really appreciate it.

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 12:25 PM   #4  
JackMaster
Whoa Nelly!!!!!!!!

What diagnosis led you to believe the distributor is bad. It is rare that you should have to replace a distributor in 10 years.

I think, if you want a chance at saving money, time and frustration, give us a chance to pin point the root of the problem here. Sounds like you are spending money unnecessarily on parts that are not going to fix the problem. I agree it could possibly, and I reiterate possibly, be a component within the distributor, however I am sceptical to believe this early on that it is in fact the distributor itself.

Give us more detail..... you say the car won't start.
1) Does the starter turn the engine or not?
2) Fuel pump. How did you test it?
3) Are you getting spark at the spark plugs?
4) you say by the sound of it, it's not the alternator. Did you remove it and have it tested as well?

Start there and let me know what you have before you waste more $$.

Again, we need to determine if it is failing to start because of no spark or no fuel!!

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 01:17 PM   #5  
toddy
Ok well i did take it to a shop and they told me i needed a new distributor. They quoted me a price of $790.00, so i looked up parts on the net and saw one for $234 at auto zone, and thought well if i could do this myself i would save $500. So after searching and talking to people I thought I would grow some balls and try to work on my car myself instead of always taking it to a shop and that is how i came to this forum, to ask if it was an easy part to replace and if i could do it, but after reading the reply maybe i should look at it myself and see if only the cap, rotor, or spark plugs need to be changed. Please let me know what you think...thanks very much

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 01:19 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Whoa Nelley is right! The distributor is worth more than the car .

As Mike says, it could be many other things. Start with the links and posts below in my signature file and tell us what you find.

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 02:16 PM   #7  
JackMaster
Ya, just like a firend of mine who took his car (mazda protege) to a 'shop' to get the halfshafts replaced. They told him they had to come from a dealer at $800.00!!!!!!!!!
One call and I found them for $164.00 and after 2 hours work changing them (and $200.00 cash in my pocket) he drove off a happy camper. Morale of the story...don't always believe the first 'shop' you talk to. That is waht I think.

Now, after you replace the distributor and the car still won't start, post your answers to the question I asked in my 2nd reply to you and we will see if we can help you for less than $234.00

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 05:44 PM   #8  
toddy
when i try to start my car it almost starts, almost like its not getting a spark or catching something, everything else sounds ok, is it possible that my dist. cap or spark plugs need to be replaced or cleaned? And if so could you please lead me to some directions on the web or email them to me.

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 05:44 PM   #9  
brianponder
Dist.

First of all, remove the dist. cap and have someone crank the engine. Is the rotor button turning? If not, look at the timing belt.

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 06:45 PM   #10  
Joe_F
Once again, start with the basics, or the repairs and parts will soak you for more than the car is worth.

Start with my post "The Basics" and Autolibrary.org (both bookmarked below) and let us know what you find when you do some homework. Must start here first!

Search this Thread