Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help with sensors (I think)

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 12:29 PM   #1  
pbarager
Need help with sensors (I think)

I have an 1998 Pontiac Sunfire with a 2.2 , automatic. When I put the car in drive there is a loud "clunk" and you can see the engine jump, and it does this as it shifts while driving. The check engine light is also on. I took it to a transmission shop (Cottman). They cleared the codes and it would stop making that noise. After a short while the engine light comes back on and the clunking resumes.
I replaced the O2 sensor and coolant sensor. My temp guage doesn't go up or down now either. Cooling fan works and coolant level is good.
Please help with any info!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 01:00 PM   #2  
JackMaster
You say the tranny shop cleared the codes....did they read the codes first? If so, what did they say? If they didn't, take the car to your nearest Autozone store and have them read the codes (free) that are showing now. If the tranny shop did not bother reading the codes before clearing them, I wouldn't take it back there!

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 01:21 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Has anyone checked the motor or transmission mounts for wear? That's the first place to start if you hear clunking when you shift into gear.

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 01:38 PM   #4  
JackMaster
Ya Joe, I thought the same thing at first but then I got to thinkin (OH C*#@ there I go again!) if it's a '98 it shouldn't have worn mounts yet. Then I also noticed he mentioned in his post that when the tranny shop cleared the codes, the clunking sound went away for a short time.

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 02:23 PM   #5  
pbarager
I just went to Auto Zone and the code was 118 - Coolant temp. circuit high input. They cleared the code and it ran great without clunking until the engine came back on about two minutes later.

Visiting Guest

07-31-02, 04:52 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Changing the coolant sensor is probably a good idea at this point.

Search this Thread