brake lights

Old 07-31-02, 02:01 PM
Unhappy brake lights

I have a 1994 Buick Regal. A few weeks ago my brakes lights went out, so I replaced them with new bulbs. Well now the lights work if I turn on my parking lights, but they will not work when I hit the brake pedal. I have checked all the fuses, well all the ones that are related to the brakes. I have tried everything I can think of from turning the bulbs around, purchasing red braking bulbs. Can someone help me, give me any suggestions etc. Also, does any one know how to change the brake light that sits up in the rear window. I cant seem to find a way in there, I have tried looking in the trunk and inside. There are no screws or knobs to get inside of there. I cant afford to take it in the shop right now.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-02, 03:14 PM
could be a brake light or headlight switch, I bet someone here with a lot of gm experience will throw in their .02.

Old 07-31-02, 04:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's probably a bad brake light switch.

Check the autolibrary.org link I have below for repair help. It should have what you want.

Old 07-31-02, 05:31 PM
brianponder
Visiting Guest
Brake lights?

First off it sounds like you may have put in the wrong bulbs. What number of bulb did you install? If they are wrong that is why the parking lights are involved. That is the only way that could interfere. These cars have had a problem with brake light switches. Some of these vehicles have a silent recall on that problem. I also wouldn't rule out the turn signal switch. Write back on the buld number. Also does the third brake light work at all? Brian, ASE Certified Master Tech.

Last edited by brianponder; 07-31-02 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-31-02, 06:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Very true....

Make sure you are using the right # bulb. Follow the recommended #s in the owner's manual...don't assume the right #s are in the car (someone could have made a mistake).

Also, a bulb like an 1157 CAN be installed backwards (but you'd have to kinda force it) and this will cause a lot of headaches.

Good point...

Old 07-31-02, 08:03 PM
Bulb number

I believe it is a 3057, which I looked up when I purchased the first batch and then again when I bought the second batch.
as for the third brake light, I'm not sure which would be considered the third light. Sorry, youre talking to a blonde. hahaha. But really, I have also tried turning them around, and had someone else put them in because I feared I was going to hurt the socket by really trying to force it in. It seems to be in all the way.

Old 07-31-02, 08:08 PM
brianponder
Visiting Guest
Brake lights

That sounds like the correct bulb. It's starting to sound like a bad ground in the socket.

Old 07-31-02, 08:14 PM
Bulb number

I believe it is a 3057, which I looked up when I purchased the first batch and then again when I bought the second batch.

Old 08-01-02, 03:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The third brake light is the one in the back window or up high on the trunk/roof area. It has been standard equipment on most cars since 1986.

I agree with the bad socket deal, although I would probably change the stoplight switch as they seem to be troublesome as mentioned earlier.

3057 sounds like the right #, but double check the # with that shown in the owner's manual under bulb replacements.

Old 08-01-02, 09:32 AM
Third brake light

Yes, the third brake light is working properly. The lights work wheli parking lights are on, also when the main headlights are on. It only happens when I brake. So during the day what I do is, when I brake I turn on the parking lights only because I feel that the third light is enough. I hope that make sense.