Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toyota Camry Smoke

Visiting Guest

08-01-02, 05:47 AM   #1  
Josh Ackerman
Toyota Camry Smoke

Help!
I have a 93 Toyota Camry, automatic with 114K miles. When I start it in the morning, I get a small bit of white smoke. This only seems to happen on the first start of the day. The engine runs great the rest of the time.
This car has been great, minimal repairs needed during its life. I have a shop I trust, but I thought I would get some extra feedback.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

08-01-02, 05:59 AM   #2  
Sure it's not tinged blue? Common for valve seals to cause this. Does it use oil and how much?

Larry

Visiting Guest

08-01-02, 06:04 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Larry.

Have someone start it up and also notice the odor. Does it smell oily or sweet? (sweet like antifreeze burning, which is white smoke..head gasket troubles).

Visiting Guest

08-01-02, 10:04 AM   #4  
Josh Ackerman
Oil

Larry,
I can not swear to the fact that the smoke is all white. The car does not burn hardly any oil. less than a qt between changes, which have been right around the 3K mark for the life of the car.

Thanks for the help.

08-01-02, 11:59 AM   #5  
Extremely rare for that engine to blow head gasket. Almosty common place after 60k to have your condition being valve seals. Job to replace them about $500-$800 and if your not really consuming oil I would let it be.

Larry

Visiting Guest

08-07-02, 12:35 PM   #6  
davek
I had a 92 Camry (4 cyl) and I currently have a 95 Camry (also 4 cyl) and they both had leaky valve seals. They both sent out a puff of smoke at cold startup. They started around 80-90k miles. Cost around $750 at the dealer.

Visiting Guest

08-08-02, 09:33 AM   #7  
Carz n Compz
Originally posted by toyotaman11769
Sure it's not tinged blue? Common for valve seals to cause this. Does it use oil and how much?

Larry
I always learned and knew that if its blue smoke its burning oil and that is how I can tell if cars are burning oil.

Search this Thread