Power inverter keeps blowing fuse

Old 08-02-02, 07:01 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Power inverter keeps blowing fuse

Recently I bought a Jenson 300 watt power inverter for my car so I could use my laptop. As soon as I plug it into the cigarette lighter, it blows a fuse that controls the cigarette lighter. I know the problem is with the inverter and not the car because I tried putting the inverter in a friends car and it blew his fuse also. Any suggestions on what could be wrong with this unit?

Craig

Old 08-02-02, 07:17 PM
S
Have you read the instructions and seen how much current this thing draws?

Old 08-02-02, 07:17 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
300 Watts = 25 amps at 12VDC nominal. Most cigar lighters are on a 20A fused circuit. This would explain why the fuse keeps blowing.

Have you tried hooking the inverter directly to a fused 12V source? Use 14 or 12 AWG wire & a 30 A fuse. Let us know what happens.

Old 08-02-02, 07:25 PM
S
I think you might need to run a bigger wire and a bigger fuse than a cig lighter. It was probably designed to have an auxilary power point installed,,, in the nature of a 10 wire and a 30 A fuse.

Old 08-02-02, 07:34 PM
C
I am a little confused. If this thing is meant to plug into the cigarette lighter (which has a 20 amp fuse) But, my unit keeps blowing the fuse because it is drawing too much power, The only option that I have is to run new wires for the cigarette lighter?

Thanks

Craig

Old 08-02-02, 07:39 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I am a little confused. If this thing is meant to plug into the cigarette lighter (which has a 20 amp fuse) But, my unit keeps blowing the fuse because it is drawing too much power, The only option that I have is to run new wires for the cigarette lighter?
In short, yes. And I agree w/ sberry...use 10 AWG wire, not 12 or 14 as I originally said.

Did you read the literature that came w/ the unit? Does it state the current draw in Amps or the power requirement in Watts?

Old 08-02-02, 07:44 PM
C
The literature states:

Voltage in: 10.5 - 15 Volts DC

Whatever that means?

Old 08-02-02, 08:54 PM
S
There also has to be current draw in,,, read further. Is the cord heavy that goes to the thing? You need at least that heavy wire and just because it have that type of plug in doesnt mean it was designed to plug to lighter,,, it may go to power point which may be heavier.

Old 08-03-02, 07:56 AM
S
I see from post in electric that there is a 30 a fuse on the unit. This should be a clue that it needs that from the car too. Run a wire from the bat though and not thru the fuse box of the car. Hi current draws there placed on the wiring there can effect the voltage in the rest of the cars systems. Needs a number 10 wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: