bad valve or piston???

Old 08-01-02, 10:45 AM
Question bad valve or piston???

I just bought a decent Mitsubishi, 1995 Galant S, 4 cylinders, 2.4 L, etc. When it runs, although smooth and seemingly flawless-I hear a slight whirring sound comming from under the hood some where(or so it seems) when the car is running in drive. I don't hear it when it idles. I suspect either low tire air pressure, or maybe an off timing belt. My worst fear is that it might be a bad valve or piston. I know not too long ago, there was a recall on the car(although I'm not sure if my exact car was included) for faulty lower arm ball joints. What the hell is that? Anyway, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-02, 10:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check your belt driven accessories, a belt or idler pulley could be bad.

Barring that, your description was vague, tough to really tell beyond a guess. Be more specific about the problem and we'll try to help.

Old 08-01-02, 10:48 AM
also

I don't know if this matters or not, But I have an automatic transmission with overdrive. It doesn't matter if the car is in overdrive or not, although I don't even know what overdrive is to tell the truth, it still whirrs. When I say whirring, it's not like a kitten (how a car engine should purr) but rather a little like a washing machine.

Old 08-01-02, 11:02 AM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
To have your coureosity satisfied about the bad valve or piston, have the cylinders compression tested.

Old 08-01-02, 01:46 PM
Some imports, like my cousin's 4 cyl Accord, sounds like a normal american engine while in park or neutral, but when in drive, especially at low speeds (like when accelerating) it sounds kinda like an electric motor more than a gas motor.

Just a few questions that would help, in addition to the ones above.

1) Is the sound a consistant, constant sound, or does is have a "rhythm" to it?
2) Does it seem to stop at any time while in drive?

BTW, Overdrive just plainly is a fancy way of saying it has a high gear. Almost everything today has overdrive. It is mainly a gas-saving feature.

A 4 speed overdrive vehicle means that 4th gear is really high, meaning that the engine only has to turn a minimal amount of times to spin the back (ie, 50 MPH but engine runs at 1500 RPM, using less gas in general).

A 5 spd overdrive means the exact same thing, but has a higher gear. Generally a 5 spd gets a smidge better mileage.

Often you see a 5 spd manual transmission described as a "4sp with overdrive". Overdrive is just 5th gear. Sounds fancy, sells cars.

Old 08-02-02, 07:23 AM
Mako, et. al

Thanks guys, I'll look into all of this. Thanks especially to Mako for describing overdrive in such detail-I appreciate it. Also, it does have a rhythm to it, the engine does, and it doesn't stop it's always there when I drive the vehicle. Maybe I'm just paranoid b/c it's my first car, but the sound really isn't normal. I'm almost certain.

Old 08-02-02, 09:16 PM
I remember hearing swear words coming from my mechanic,, something to the tune of Mitsubshi f****ng timing chain more than once.

Old 08-03-02, 03:50 AM
for faulty lower arm ball joints

Might want to have the ball joints checked. If the tire is running out of line enough, it will make a strange sound. Notice any uneven tire wear? Tire look like it is straight and parallel with the other front to back and up and down?

Old 08-03-02, 06:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Just call Mitsu with your VIN # in hand and ask them if the car is covered by the recall or not. If it is, bring it to any dealer for a free repair.