Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Axle spline count for a 1974 IHC Scout II

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-01-02, 11:14 AM   #1  
Axle spline count for a 1974 IHC Scout II

Does anyone know what the spline count is on a 1974 IHC Scout II w/258? I have the Dana 44 in the rear and Dana 30 (disk brakes) in the front. Trying to order some lockers and want to make sure I'm getting the right ones.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-01-02, 12:17 PM   #2  
JackMaster
If your refrring to the pinion splines, the count is 26 on both the 30 & 44.

08-01-02, 12:25 PM   #3  
Thanks. I was refering to the splines on the axle itself. Since I will be putting in lockers that replace the carrier gears (open diff) the company needs to know the spline count. I was told that the Dana 30 had a 27 spline count and the Dana 44 had either a 19 or 30 spline count. I'm thinking for that year the Dana has the 30 count. Any opinions on this? Am I correct on the spline count? Thanks again for the help! -Shawn

Visiting Guest

08-01-02, 12:38 PM   #4  
JackMaster
Yes, that is correct....the Dana 30 is a 27 spline count.

The Dana 44 however could be 19 or it could be 30....need to know the gear ratio to determine the correct spline count.

08-01-02, 02:00 PM   #5  
That one might be tough (barring me turning the wheel while jacked up and counting rotation, oh well) since the tag on the diff cover is gone. I might check to see if its stamped on the axle tub. One more question. Do you know if the Dana 30 and Dana 44 have internal axle seals by the carrier? I replaced the outer seals several months ago but never realized that the axles may have inner seals. Someone told me that some do , some don't. Any way to check? If they do have internal seals what is the best way to remove them and install new ones (once carrier has been removed). Also are the seals common enough that a parts store like Checker Auto or Autozone might carry them (I guess I could just call on that one)? Thanks!

Visiting Guest

08-02-02, 09:26 AM   #6  
JackMaster
Shawn,

Lots of questions to answer one at a time....

Do a search using Google and type in Dana 44...it will give you lots of sites that have illustrations of the different Dana 44 differentials. Check them out to identify the exact one you have. These illustrations have break downs of the entire assembly and you can probably get your answers through researching them. You will also find that there are actually 4 different splined axles used in 44's, not 2 as originally thought. You will see they are 10, 19, 27 and 30.

Good luck and if you hit any stumbling blocks, let us know and we will do what we can to help you.

Search this Thread