squealing brakes

Old 08-01-02, 09:47 PM
squealing brakes

hi

i have a 94 olds cutlass supreme. being on a budget, i decided to fix my own brakes with the assistance of a manual. i changed the pads and rotors on all four disk brakes. i put anti-squeal compound on all contact points but the brakes continue to make a squeal when i apply the brakes. i can't tell which brakes they are coming from. any ideas why else they could be squealing.

i appreciate any info.

thanks

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-02, 10:05 PM
Were the pads and rotor clean when you installed them? Also, though I've never done it, some rotors need to be turned before installation. If they are too smooth they will cause glazing on the pads and they will slip "squealing" instead of a good grab.

How well do they work now? Any better, worse? If they are just dirty, you may be able to spray some brake cleaner in there to clean them up.

Watch for more posts, this is all I could think of at the moment. Other than the fact that I really need to get out there and do the truck brakes! Dread it. I like my 4x4 but when I comes to maintenance those cool looking big tires are HEAVY!

Kay

Old 08-01-02, 10:11 PM
what brand pads did you use ?

Old 08-01-02, 11:19 PM
There are a couple of things to check.

New rotors should be trued before being installed, usually the place you buy them from will turn them for you for free.

Check the tattler arm, this is the metal piece that rubs the rotor when the pad has reached it's limit. These get bent during shipment.

Check to make sure that the pads were installed and seated correctly.

Anti-squeal compound is a 'coverup', brakes don't squeal when working properly.

Old 08-01-02, 11:28 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Any quality brand of brake rotor should not need to be turned prior to installation.

Anti-squeal compound is a 'coverup', brakes don't squeal when working properly.
Tell that to the many OEMs who use the compound when they build the cars. GM, Ford & Chrysler all use anti squeal shims in their OEM applications. Most Japanese manufacturers use both shims AND anti-squeal compound.

I agree with the other posters...That is, were the pads & rotors CLEAN when installed, were they installed correctly, were the proper anti-squeal shims installed, etc. etc.???

Old 08-01-02, 11:49 PM
"Quality" does not mean perfection. As the service is free and takes very little surface off the rotor it's worth the wait to ensure that the rotors are in good order BEFORE installing them. I also install wheel bearings at the same time, you're already in there, and new bearings are cheap enough.

I've owned several cars over the years of different brands, have done brakes on all of them. NONE of them had any type of shim, I've never used any anti squeal compound on them, and they have NEVER squealed. I'll stand by my statement that properly working brakes do not squeal and that anti squeal compound is a cover up.

Old 08-02-02, 06:06 AM
danielmccoy
Visiting Guest
I had a similar problem and found it to be the brand/quality of the brake pad. I was buying 'Albany' pads from Autozone and every car I put them on they squeaked. After talking to several mechanics I switched to 'Bendix' pads (their top of the line model) and no more squeaking!

Old 08-02-02, 06:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Newsflash:

Knuckles is right. You do not need to true a rotor before installing a NEW one. If you do, it's crap. Plain and simple. It should be ready to install on the car.

Every time you turn a rotor you shorten its service life. This is not a good thing.

Use quality Raybestos, Wagner or Delco products and you'll have no problems.

Original poster: What brand of parts did you use? Stay away from any offshore made product. Only use Canadian or US made replacements...the rest are JUNK.

Old 08-02-02, 08:27 PM
wow! thanks for all the responses.

as i said, i am completely a novice at this brake repairing thing so please be patient.

i used the Albany brand from Auto Zone ( i get the impression from you all that they are not the best). Also, i may have made a mistake regarding whether the pads were clean and here it is:

i originally thought the front rotors were fine because the rear pads were completely shot and something was stopping the car, so i figured it was the front pads. however, after i changed the front pads, i then noticed that the inside face of the front rotors were rusted. so, i changed the front rotors but left the relatively new pads on there. i think, if this is possible, that the new pads were on the front for a week with the rusty rotors. Could this have ruined them? I didn't see any gouges or scratching, but I do wonder if they had collected any deep dirt and are perhaps causing the squeeling.

Otherwise, I used brake cleaner the whole time and I tried to keep everything clean.

this squealing is driving me crazy! It is getting so I don't want to drive the car.

thanks and I'll keep reading.

bob

Search this Thread