Factory Keyless Entry

Old 08-03-02, 08:04 PM
shadetreenut
Visiting Guest
Question Factory Keyless Entry

I have a 2001 Chevy Impala that has everything BUT keyless entry. I was wondering if anyone knows how much it would cost for the factory style to be installed or would I be better off just installling an aftermarket unit? I have located a unit that is suppose to be just like the factory unit but I am not sure about it. http://www.aatechnologies.com/gmalarms/vke1000.asp I am told that the factory unit is programmed through the radio as well as other options that I have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-02, 08:08 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
since your car is still fairly new i say to have the Dealer do it or where you bought it so as not to void any Warranties you might have with your Car. Don,

Old 08-03-02, 08:12 PM
shadetreenut
Visiting Guest
I wish I had a warranty

The car has already passed the 36,000 mark darn it. Now it is starting all of the infamous noises that appear after the warranty is gone.

Old 08-04-02, 05:03 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
have you Properly Maintained your Vehicle i still suggest the dealer because they will know where to properly hook it up to and hopefully not a Butcher Job like some Places Do. Don,

Old 08-04-02, 05:12 AM
shadetreenut
Visiting Guest
now you pissed me off

Gee I was just trying to be funny and someone comes along and makes an unknown comment about someone's ability to take care of a vehicle; even though I take my vehicle in to the dealer for all of its maintenance. I can't believe that they would allow someone to be so rude. I believe you still have no right to comment on someone's ability to maintain their vehicle. This is suppose to be a help board not a bashing board.

Old 08-04-02, 06:46 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
"This is suppose to be a help board not a bashing board."

Shadetreenut,

I believe that he was trying to help. I have seen and repaired my own vehicle with an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry (as well as many others)and there is a big difference between the aftermarket and factory systems. The fact of the matter is that your car may be "prewired" for the keyless entry, so you won't have to have someone hacking your wiring. Even if the job is properly done the chances of something going wrong with the aftermarket stuff is higher than the factory stuff.

Lots of moving parts on a car to make noise!

Good luck and I'm sure no hard feelings,

Old 08-04-02, 06:57 AM
shadetreenut
Visiting Guest
well if you ask me it sounded like a bash simply because I was just asking if I should go to the dealer or not. I don't understand how properly maintaining your vehicle had ANYTHING to do with what I asked. This is the reason I called it bashing. And also yes it is prewired for keyless entry but I am not going to pay 500 to have them install it if that is how much it cost to have it installed. That is why I was asking a simple legite question. I cant believe this board would allow such. And anyway I have been a mechanic for 23 years. I may not know anything about the accessories but I will be damned if someone is going to tell me how to maintain my automobile.

Old 08-04-02, 07:03 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Shadetreenut,

If someones car is skipping on a cylinder, the first thing I would ask is when is the last time you had a tuneup? I think that you are taking this the wrong way.

I don't disagree with you, I think that $500 is alot to install the alarm/keyless entry. Does it come with installation instructions?

Good luck

Old 08-04-02, 07:30 AM
shadetreenut
Visiting Guest
I don't understand how properly maintaining your vehicle had ANYTHING to do with what I asked.
And then again what does it matter to the question that I asked.

Heck If I know I cant find a dealership that will tell me how much the unit is by itself. The price quote was for labor only. I found this site http://www.impalahq.com/Keyless_Entry.html that shows how this can be accompished but I guess I just need to know "how much"

Old 08-04-02, 08:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
My .02:

Skip adding it at all. There is more to it than just a "kit". That's why it's an expensive option from GM. .

The computer may be programmed by vin # at GM to include the features in the computer to interface with it properly. Newer cars have a LOT tied in through the computer and you risk damaging it or immobolizing it by adding accessories....even "factory" style ones. If you add any, make sure it is a GM authorized accesory (if available), so if you have any trouble, you have recourse.

However, I say stay away. If it doesn't have it from GM, adding it could be more trouble than it's worth..if not now, in the long haul. I have had to dismantle many an aftermarket alarm job some 5 to 7 years later because of problems. Not worth it.

Aside from that, I don't think anyone was trying to offend you at all, simply offering you advice. With 23 years experience as a tech, you would/should know if this is something you can handle yourself or farm out. For instance, if your strength is older vehicles, then, no, this would be something to farm out, as wiring in newer vehicles is not like years ago....just an example.

Again my .02 is install nothing to avoid long term problems.

Old 08-04-02, 08:24 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
go to your dealer

up here its about CAN$250.00 to install a "factory style" remote keyless entry system with parts using a GM part#.

Don't attempt it yourself, don't take it aftermarket. Through the "miracle" of multiplexing and bussed circuits, its real easy to tap into a wire and end up with strange trouble codes, driveability issues and all sorts of pitfalls.

Case in point: Fleet customer of mine took his fleet of Savanas aftermarket to perform an NG conversion. Whoever did the hook up for the electronics ended up causing a problem with the variable assist steering; anytime a left turn was made, steering would jerk as the variable assist system was getting mixed signals courtesy of a wiring snafu. And...a Savana's wiring harness is easy to deal with compared to yours.

Tread carefully.

Old 08-04-02, 08:40 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Talking

Damn, Chevrolet using busses! Didn't even know they stopped using carburetors! Just kidding. Don't get all bent out of shape over this...

BMW uses bus systems and the alarm module has to be coded to the vehicle as well, just wasn't aware that GM was that way...