A/C Compressor noise

Old 08-05-02, 09:01 AM
A/C Compressor noise

Alright, so I'm trying very hard to make this 4 cyl. 2.4 liter engine, 1995 Mitsubishi Galant S, alot more comfortable than it was when I first got it 1 week ago. I just brought the car to the local mechanic who charged me $80 to put in what he called "like 3 lbs of ****![refridgerant]." Of course, when I was strolling through Target the next day I seen that 134 wasn't too expensive and I feel absolutely ripped off. That's another story though, right? Anyway, whenever I got the A/C blowing and I'm going say 30mph or faster and I apply then brakes, I hear sort of a grinding noise comming from the A/C. I guess it's the compressor. I hope that doesn't mean that there's a leak? What do you fellas think?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-02, 09:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bear in mind that 80 bucks included labor and diagnosis, so just by going on the cost of R134A, you're not being accurate. People have to make a living

With that being said, if the vehicle makes noise with the A/C on, make sure the belt is tight and in good shape. If not, bring it back to the shop and have them make good on their repair.

Old 08-05-02, 09:51 AM
belt...?

Which belt? not the timing belt? Serpentine belt? I had no idea there was a belt involved with the A/C system. Thanks, I have them[mechanic] look at it! Hey, what does it take to become ASE certified? I'm tired of not knowing anything, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-05-02, 09:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The A/C compressor has a drive belt. Sometimes one belt drives everything, other times it has separate belts.

The timing belt is internal and drives the crank and camshaft. No bearing on the A/C compressor. If the timing belt broke, the engine wouldn't run . The timing belt should be changed at regular intervals as suggested by the manufacturer.

As for ASE certification, go to the ASE's website. You have to pass a competency exam and be in the trade to get ASE certification.