1989 Toyota Van

Old 08-05-02, 04:53 PM
plunderman
Visiting Guest
Question 1989 Toyota Van

Greetings,

I am about to leave work where my wife has started to replace a valve cover gasket on our 1989 Toyota Van. Apparently she is frustrated because the chilton's manual we purchased does not have a useful diagram of how the engine is set up overall. Meaning which part conects to which doohicky.

Being extremely new at auto repair I was wondering if anyone has done this before and could guide me through the procedure. Failing that does anyone know where I can get a decent diagram of the engine for the Van?

Thanks for you help!
Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-02, 05:25 PM
You have to mark things before removing. Before digital cams you had to take a mental picture. With a digital or instant cam take shots before and during disassembly to refer to on assembly.

Larry

Old 08-05-02, 08:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The Toyota OEM manual is the best companion and well worth the money on this wretched beast of a van.

Barring that, you can check the autolibrary.org link as I have it bookmarked below for some ideas.

Old 08-06-02, 02:47 AM
Joe,

Have to disagree on the Toyota Manuel, more often than not info missing, not making sense, no pictures(they use drawings). The manuels are translated in Japan. They loose alot in the translation. Sometimes you will find a word in the flow chart that can be taken two ways. Nothing worse when diagnoising something and there is a fork in the road!!!

Had the oportunity one time to see a Prizm manuel, as compared to the same year Corolla book it blew it away. My observations are based on 27 years of Toyota experience

Larry

Old 08-06-02, 03:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Larry,

Have to disagree with ya . The OEM manual is the best manual, even if literally translated from Japanese. Such is the peril of owning something foreign like that.....a US made car has all its intelligence and engineering done here, and I agree, US made manuals are better and not so "literal" as the Japanese ones can be.

However, Toyota makes the car, so they know the vehicle the best. Everyone else copies the OEM manual for information and MORE is lost in the translation that way than literal Japanese to English .

Old 08-06-02, 10:30 AM
plunderman
Visiting Guest
Oem Manual

Greetings,

Thanks for the advice on the manual anyone know where I can purchase one? Nothing comes up on my Google search.

{edit} Also the link autolibrary.org appears to be nonfunctional.

Many Thanks!
Neil

Old 08-06-02, 10:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The answers to both of your questions are in my signature file.

Use the autolibrary link as I have it bookmarked below.

Old 08-06-02, 12:52 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hey there Neil, funny to see you on this forum,

Is there anyway to take the AC line that you were speaking of on the other forum loose by removing the whole compressor and "hanging" it to the side? Can you take a picture and email it to me?

Be glad to help if I can!

Good luck,

Old 08-07-02, 04:43 PM
plunderman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help!

Well between the wife and I we managed to get the gasket replaced. Also replaced the pcv valve and a few of the hoses. I'm sure you'll be hearing many more questions from me in the future.

Old 08-07-02, 05:55 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Neil,

Good to hear you and the wife got the van fixed... Post back if you need to and you know how to get in touch with me..

Chad

Search this Thread