burning smell in 1994 toyota pickup

Old 08-07-02, 07:54 AM
burning smell in 1994 toyota pickup

We have a 1994 Toyota pickup with about 85,000 miles. Over the past few days, we notice a burning smell after about 15 minutes of driving. It smells almost like electrical parts, but is outside the vehicle. It is 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, and has a manual transmission. It shifts fine, and if the car is left for an hour or 2, the smell goes away, only to return after the cr has been driven a while again.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-02, 08:59 AM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
My first instinct tells me to ask the question, "has the clutch ever been changed?".....

Old 08-07-02, 09:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check it thoroughly. Also make sure that no wires or other parts are touching the exhaust.

Old 08-07-02, 10:41 AM
As far as I know, the clutch has never been replaced. We've had the truck for about 2 months.
We had a car about 20 years ago whose clutch burned out, and that smell stays with you, so as soon as I smelled this, I thought Uh Oh, I think the clutch is going.
Wouldn't you think though that there would be some symptoms besides the smell if the clutch were indeed burning? (e.g., slipping, etc)

Old 08-07-02, 11:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not always. Could be oil on the clutch (it will still work OK).

Old 08-07-02, 02:34 PM
Well,
I brought the truck to a garage today, and they could not find anything wrong. Despite the fact that the mechanic did say he smelled that "electrical/rubbery" smell when I dropped it off.
They did find a little oil near the transmission, but wouldn't that be a burning oil smell?
What would you think the next step should be since there are no problems with slipping/shifting with the manual transmission?
I guess just keep an eye on it?

Old 08-08-02, 08:10 AM
Dude

Try checking your battery connections. I'm a neophyte to this automotive repair stuff, but I know the aweful rubbery/sulfuric smell a car battery can give off under the right[which is actually the wrong] conditions. Boy, it is pungent! Try taking a whiff directly over the battery after you run the truck for a bit. Worst yet, take a whiff after it has rained. If that is the smell magnified, then think about replacing the bad boy [AC Delco preferrably]. If I'm wayyy off here, sorry boys-just trying to help and learn myself. I read these posts nearly everyday here at work, it's boring as hell at the office.

Old 08-08-02, 11:11 AM
Figured out what the terrible burning smell was today. It seemed to be coming from the right wheel, so I jacked the front of the truck up, and the right wheel drags like crazy, so I assume that the front disc brake caliper needs to be replaced. $80 vs several hundred for the clutch.
Just one other question, do you think the heat from the brake on that wheel did anything to the front wheel bearing?
Thanks everyone for your input.
Dave

Last edited by Dave4242; 08-08-02 at 02:33 PM.