Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission Slopping

PA

08-07-02, 06:24 PM   #1  
Transmission Slopping

I have a 1979 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 305 V8 and a 3 speed auto. I had the transmission repaired 3yrs ago. Since then I've put 12,000 miles on the car. After the repair I noticed the fluid was overfilled.

I went back to the shop and asked about this, since I had always thought it would cause problems. The mechanic said it was no problem, it wouldn't do any damage. I asked about high pressure and he said if it got too high, it would come out the overflow.

The fluid is still about 3/4" above the full mark. It used to be about 2" above.

The transmission is slipping badly when shifting. Especially between 2nd and 3rd. I'm having it checked tomorrow.

Could the overfilled fluid have damaged the transmission?

Sherm

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-07-02, 09:28 PM   #2  
Joe_F
The guy's a bozo.

Overfilling the tranny WILL cause damage as it will likely cause foaming and eventual fluid loss. For Pete's sake, even the owner's manual says something to the same effect.

Check the fluid when hot to confirm it.

I think he's trying to get out of a poor rebuild as well.

PA

08-09-02, 01:27 PM   #3  
Here's where I'm at now:

The mechanic denies all responsibility for the problem. He says any overfill would go out the vent tube. I'm interested in knowing if this is true. (I doubt it).

I mistakenly said this was a 350 tranny. It's actually a 200 metric. I don't know if it even has a vent tube.

My only recourse is to sue, which is a no win experience.

I found a good price on a rebuild from Accurate transmissions. The 350 is $435 delivered. Do you know anything about this companies rebuilds?

They recommend putting the 350 in the car. It's supposed to be a better tranny. Do you agree?

This is a 1979 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 305 engine. They asked if I needed a short or long shaft. I don't know. Do you know which 350 tranny this car takes.

Thanks for the help.

Sherm

Visiting Guest

08-09-02, 01:31 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Most of the 305's in that year are TH350. However, the 1979 Oldsmobile parts catalog states a TH200 was used.

The TH200 is junk. Weak.

The tranny place should be able to advise what type of TH350 is needed. I suggest a GM/Goodwrench rebuild over all of them, if the car is in good shape, it's worth the green.

Visiting Guest

08-09-02, 01:35 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Let me restate that
--------

Most of the 305's in that year are TH350. However, the 1979 Oldsmobile parts catalog states a TH200 was used.

The TH200 is junk. Weak.

If this guy is an "expert", then why did he overfill the tranny? I would think he has books to tell him what the fluid capacity is for that tranny . I do! Lol.

With that being said, I would say if you cannot resolve it, call the Better Business Bureau and report him. Do you have any proof you went back and complained to him about the repair? Have you asked him why if his rebuild is such a "quality" one why it only lasted 12k miles?

The tranny place should be able to advise what type of TH350 is needed. I suggest a GM/Goodwrench rebuild over all of them, if the car is in good shape, it's worth the green.

Search this Thread