Alarm light

Old 08-07-02, 06:34 PM
jcg3rd
Visiting Guest
Alarm light

Year: 1984
Make: Ford Thunderbird
Engine: 4 cylinder turbo EFI

The car was given to my son but it was missing the computer. We purchased a new computer for it, after it was installed the car cranked once ran only a minute and has not cranked since. The fuel pump relay does not energize and there is no spark at the plugs. There is an alarm light that flashes on the console. If anyone has any posible solutions please post.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-02, 09:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure the correct computer is installed.

On the door jamb or valve cover there is a series of letters/numbers that says "Calibration". This is the specific package of emission parts (including the computer) this vehicle has.

Any Ford dealer will be able to look it up on their system and find the correct replacement computer. If it is obsolete from Ford, take the stamping ID and the service #s they give you to any parts store and they will find you the correct aftermarket replacement.

Start there.

Old 08-08-02, 05:32 PM
jcg3rd
Visiting Guest
step one complete

The computer is an aftermarket one. My local Ford service Mgr was kind enough to call NAPA and order it for me. I am assuming I recieved the correct one the numbers do match the ones I got from Ford.

Old 08-08-02, 06:02 PM
although you may have an alarm problem im not to familiar with the alarm on that old of a ford and what it disables when triggered do you have the owners manual what does it say about the alarm system?
you should check the small ground wire at the negative battery terminal sometimes they will get broken and once loses ground will not turn on the eec relay or the fuel pump relay, also should check the fusible links at the starter solenoid pull on them and see if any has melted into.

Old 08-08-02, 06:12 PM
jcg3rd
Visiting Guest
step 2

Thanks for a direction. I'll check the ground wires. I did find out a little history on the car. The lady who gave it to my son said the car ran great until it was stolen. They found the car about a month later in a field and the computer was missing. So anything is possible.