brake lights don't work

Old 08-07-02, 07:35 PM
brake lights don't work

hi
i was reading another post about a GM car that that brake lights weren't working and I have the same problem.

I have a 94 Olds Cutlass Supreme. The two brake lights aren't working but the high stop light is. All the bulbs were replaced with the correct bulbs.

A friend of mine said he replaced the brake switch at the pedal but I wasn't there when he did it so I don't know. I pulled out the brake switch and connected it to a continuity tester and it seemed okay, but I wasn't sure which was the high brake switch and which was the lower brake lights.

One last thing, the fog lights aren't working either. I checked all the fuses in the panel including under the hood fuses blocks. All are okay.

I am starting to suspect a bad ground but I am just guessing.

any ideas.

thanks

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-02, 09:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like it. Check the autolibrary link I have below for some ideas.

Old 08-07-02, 10:04 PM
i would suggest you check the turnsignal switch the brake lights run through the switch except the third brake light wich is the one thats working and i bet you find that you will have power going into the turn signal switch but not coming out when brakes are applied.

Old 08-08-02, 06:13 PM
what do you think about the fog lights also not working? do they run through the turn signal switch?

and where is the turn signal switch and how do i determine if power is coming out of it?

thanks

bob

Old 08-08-02, 06:36 PM
the turn signal switch is in the steering column and requires steering wheel to be removed to be replaced it does however have about 2 feet of wiring and a connector at the bottom of the steering colomn and with a wiring diagram for your car turn signal and light circuit you can determine if it is faulty without taking the steering column apart, just remove the lower panel under the dash which you may already of had off checking the brake light switch look for the turn signal connector it may snap into a large bulk connector, just follow the wiring from the colomn to the connector now you can probe these wires to see if the switch is allowing power to pass through it, but you really need the wiring diagram to test it if you dont have one dont be probing anything that you are not for sure is the wiring to the brake lights.
as far as the fog lights could be anything but for starters i would check for power and ground at the lights first it could be bad bulbs, after you have determined that you do not have power at the bulb then i would look at the switch as most likely place, if you do have power and no ground then i would be looking for loose ground wires under the hood once again a wirng diagram of the fog light circuit would be valuable if you have to try to track it down to a loose ground or bad switch.

Old 08-08-02, 08:18 PM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
My money is on the turn signal switch inside the steering wheel.
Same problelm with my 95 monte carlo a few months back, no brake lights except for the high mount, the brake would come on if I flashed the brights on and off or jiggled the turn switch, tried to do it myself. but you need a special tool to get something out after the steering wheel is off.

GM shop: drop off at 7am pick up on lunch break, same day.
price around 180 dollars, if I remember.

who would have thought no brakes would be caused by a short on that rotary switch. tell them to save the old bad one to look at it, and you will see the copper contacts have gotten worn off or they are shorted. pretty interesting looking contraption.

check it out and good luck

Old 08-11-02, 06:48 PM
thanks for the info.

out of curiosity, where do you get wiring diagrams?

also, i used a small wire to bypass the brake switch and i still did not get brake lights. does this mean anything?

thanks

Old 08-11-02, 11:26 PM
well the fact that your third brake light works tells you the brake light switch is working.
some wiring diagrams can be found here
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html
or even your local library may very well have them.
or you can get a subscription to all data wich would have every wiring diagram for that car , along with alot of other info well worth the cost of the subscription instead of purchasing manuals for your vehicle seperately.

Old 08-12-02, 07:46 PM
i think today i decided just to bring the car to the shop. i developed a leak in the gas tank where the seam is and i am really busy doing other things, and although it kills me to pay someone to do something that i could do myself, i just don't want to get involved in this right now.

so, i will be getting the shop to put in a new gas tank and fix the problem with the brake lights.

also, i thought there were two switches, one for the brake lights and another for the high stop brake light. on the pedal, i found two, practically identical switches.

oh, well.

thanks