still having problem

Old 08-08-02, 01:04 AM
dan coplin
Visiting Guest
still having problem

still having trouble with 1988 GMC pick-up, 350 CID. will eventually start but requires 8-12 seconds of cranking before it fires. have replaced fuel pump & filter, rotar, plugs, distributer cap, and checked for vacum leaks. replaced fuel pump relay as suggested. problem seemed to improve briefly; now as bad as ever. **did forget to note that oil pressure gauge is bad. registers 60+ lbs at all times.** also, wipers fail to work on all settings except "high". this failure is intermitent and i have thought it to be unrelated since i am only aware of it if vehical is already running. have used several fuel system cleaners, both spray and additive type. no change. truck runs OK after starting even when pulling a heavy load. grateful for any suggestions, even if it includes wearing a tin foil hat when starting truck.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-02, 03:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On some GM trucks, the oil pressure switch is tied into the fuel pump circuit. I would change that switch as it is likely why your oil gauge doesn't work.

As for anything else, the basics should be checked. What's your fuel pressure? Was an AC Delco fuel pump used? If not, many aftermarket parts are junk. Also, the tank should have been boiled out and the intank strainer and fuel filter changed as junk finds its way forward causing a lot of grief.

As for the wipers, it could be a bad motor or a bad wiper switch.