Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

detailing and buffing

Visiting Guest

08-08-02, 10:57 AM   #1  
mscratch1
detailing and buffing

Please explain to me what exactly these words mean... Is is cleaning and waxing or what?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-08-02, 11:02 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Polishing is removing oxidized paint and dirt, waxing is to protect it. Oftentimes they are used interchangably as some waxes are also cleaners.

Meguiar's has all of this separate in their line. Check it at www.meguiars.com

Visiting Guest

08-08-02, 11:15 AM   #3  
mscratch1
I am an automotive idiot...If I take my car to a detail shop ..what will they do to it?

Visiting Guest

08-08-02, 01:16 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Depends on what you ask them to do!

Visiting Guest

08-08-02, 06:36 PM   #5  
mscratch1
This is no help to me.. I will just ask elsewhere. I dont want to go into 3 dozen of those links to find out a simple answer.

08-08-02, 06:46 PM   #6  
as joe stated it depend on what you ask them to do a complete detail often includes washing engine and underhood, cleaning and washing the interior and carpet, and on the exterior at the very least they will wash it and may buff it if you ask them to depending alot on if the car will see any benefit from it. buffing will remove oxidation from paint and usually make a faded paint look a little brighter but it doesnt work miracles. im sure you could get any of these done you want or a complete detail.

Visiting Guest

08-09-02, 07:30 AM   #7  
Joe_F
You asked a vague question with no detail. I provided the detail and information needed based on what's provided. Until I get the detail I need, the answers will seem vague to you...but in reality they are detailed enough based on what was provided.

It doesn't help because your question lacks detail. If you go to a detail shop they will ask you what you want to do. Or the car will show what it needs and the guy will suggest something.

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT AND WHAT YOU EXPECT! There are levels of detail service.

Meguiar's is the best in the industry with regard to polishes and waxes. They have it pretty simply laid out. If ya can't figure it out from them, leave it to a pro to avoid damage to your car. It doesn't get any easier than that as far as the differences in the products.

Also we do not know what type of car we are talking about, and that DOES make a difference based on the type of paint system.

So until you provide what you want and the needed details, you're likely to STILL be in the dark.

Another forum will ask you the same questions as were asked here based on what you provided.

And the Meguiar's site likely DOES answer your questions !

Visiting Guest

08-09-02, 06:58 PM   #8  
mscratch1
I asked these questions because I do not know what services a detail shop offers..I did not even know what a detail shop was and I dont think I was being vague..I simply did not know and asked.

Visiting Guest

08-10-02, 06:14 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Your original question:

Please explain to me what exactly these words mean... Is is cleaning and waxing or what?

My original answer:

Polishing is removing oxidized paint and dirt, waxing is to protect it. Oftentimes they are used interchangably as some waxes are also cleaners.

Meguiar's has all of this separate in their line. Check it at www.meguiars.com

-----

The question as asked was answered. Done, nothing more to disucuss.

Post is closed.

Search this Thread