Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Honda CRX X-mission noise

08-08-02, 02:22 PM   #1  
89 Honda CRX X-mission noise

1989 Honda CRX Si
1590cc motor (1.6L)
5 speed manual
120,000 miles

Transmission was rebuilt at 85k. This was because I forgot it wasn't a dog box and attempted to downshift into first when I wasn't supposed to during a SCCA event in Columbus, IN. Main damage was to synchros/gears in first two gears.

Clutch is a Centerforce 2 with stock Honda bearing. Both were installed slightly prior to the transmission problem. Running Redline synthetic transmission fluid.

Problem

Recently I discovered that when the car is running, gear in neutral, with my foot off the clutch, the transmission makes a noise. It sounds like something is rubbing, a steady whining sound that isn't too loud, but there. If I put in the clutch, it disappears.

I plan on getting rid of this car in one year. Resale doesn't matter, I may end up parting it out and selling the shell to a junkyard. Do I need to be concerned and what is the cause?

Ron Schunck
Future Subaru WRX owner

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-08-02, 03:26 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Warped clutch, wiped throwout bearing, flywheel problem or bad pressure plate/sticking one.

Drive it till it grenades and part it out. Something was done wrong or the damage to the synchros wiped out something inside. Not worth fixing this old tuna can if your intent is to pitch it in a year.

Search this Thread