Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1967-68 Camaro

Visiting Guest

08-09-02, 07:25 AM   #1  
0-60in5
1967-68 Camaro

This is off topic on the repair aspect but I'm hoping someone will be able to answer this for me. I am looking to buy a 67 or a 68 Camaro and I can't seem to find one with manual transmission. Were all of the Camaros auto back then or is it just that no one wants to sell the manuals. Also, is there any significant differences between the 67 and the 68 models that would help to influence my decision to one or the other?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-09-02, 07:27 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Yes, they had MT back then. You'll pay dearly for a numbers matching one at this point..quite rare.

1967 has vent windows, 1968 doesn't. Same basic car from 1967 to 1969. Can't go wrong. Wonderful cars .

Visiting Guest

08-09-02, 07:41 AM   #3  
0-60in5
Thanks Joe!

08-09-02, 10:25 AM   #4  
Those old camaros are beautiful. Neighbor down the street had a 67 with a 454!! It would rattle the windows in the house every time he just idled by!! I had a big block 402 motor for a while that I wanted to buy a camaro for, but I already had too many projects.

Manual tranny's in older cars seem to be real rare. Especially camaro's. One thing I could never figure out about camaro's is that 99% of them, (talking about newer models from 80's and up) are all auto. For some reason, chevy didn't like to put too many manual tranny's in those camaros. That was also one of my reasons to go with the 5.0 mustang, because 2/3rds of them were manuals.

Anyway, off topic. That neighbor switched between an auto and a manual in that old camaro many times. I don't know what exactly was involved, but he said it was fairly easy, and did it in a weekend. IF you don't care about #'s matching, a conversion to a late model camaro 6 speed might be in store!!!

Search this Thread