Serviceability of newer Toyota Corolla

Old 08-10-02, 07:18 AM
Serviceability of newer Toyota Corolla

I have a 92 and a 97 Corolla, the 92 is easier to service (e.g., change light bulbs and radio). The 97 one drives me crazy sometimes. Once I tried to put in a new radio, but I could not figure out how to open the console. Today, I tried to change a light bulb in the stoplight inside rear window. They do not use screws for the stoplight cover, instead, they use two plastic latches with a barrel and a center pin. When the center pin is pushed in, the latch will latch in the holes. With the 92, I can use a screwdriver to loose the pin and take the latch out. But with the 97, the end of the pin is smooth and I have no way to loose it and take the latch out. Does any one know how to loose these plastic latches without break it? Does any one know how to open the console of a 97 Corolla to put in a radio? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-02, 09:08 AM
Just figured out how to remove the plastic latches. Use a small flat jeweler's screwdriver push in from edge of the center pin and pry it out the barrel.
Still can't figure out how to put in the radio.

Old 08-10-02, 05:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check autolibrary as I have it bookmarked below. It should help you out.

Old 08-11-02, 04:37 AM
firstshift
Visiting Guest
radio/97 Corolla

Yahoo:
Probably similar to my 96 Corolla. The trim piece on the outsideo f the radio and the ashtray/cuplholder (if equipped) has to come out to access the screws. I was able to tug at mine, from the bottom first and then the top half. Naturally it gets easier the next time as you wear down the tabs.

Old 08-13-02, 01:48 PM
Wink

Thanks Joe_F and firstshift,
I visited "www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%20Lookup/cal_ModelLookup.html" and found good instructions and figures for the stop light. The better and easier way is to "push in" the center pin rather than pry it out as I did.
I will use that web site before I try anything else on my Corollas.
The figures and instructions for the radio, however, are for the older models.
I will try firstshift suggested this weekend.

Search this Thread