checking ignition coil

Old 08-11-02, 03:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
checking ignition coil

When checking older coils (point type ignition) with an ohmeter from the tower to the distributor side and you get no reading, does it mean it is bad?
I'm talking about somewhere near 1969 302 engine. The plugs do not seem to be firing like they should. When the car is put in gear, it does not want to run, almost like no spark advance. When I pull the wires while it is running, it does not seem to affect the engine much, if any.
It has headers on it, and I have not checked compression on the cylinders yet. These headers are a pain to work with. If I can get the engine to smooth out with the point system, I most likely will change to electronic ignition, but for now I want to get a general feel of what condition the motor is in.

Old 08-11-02, 04:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A compression check is a must on a motor of questionable mechanical condition. If shown to be poor, don't go any further, rebuild time .

Yes, headers stink and aren't worth a darn for a street car. You can get exhaust manifolds for most popular applications that look and flow just as good. For instance, Ram Air manifolds are reproduced for Pontiac and would look stock and flow nicely on a car like my project car (where there has been some work done).

Old 08-11-02, 04:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mornin' Joe.

When I got this car, I drove it home and it seemed strong enough. We had a hard time getting it to fire when we first tried to start it and robbed a coil off an old Datsun pickup. Now it seems to fire better when the gas pedal is really pushed down. According to my Chilton manual on engines a little newer than this one, you can check secondary on the coil by getting a reading from the distributor side to the tower on the coil. I get no reading there on this one nor the used one a friend gave me that came off a Ford. These things will be replaced eventually. I was just wondering if the older engine coils checked the same way. Also trying to determine if the rebuild is working right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: