Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

700R4 Questions

LA

08-12-02, 10:51 PM   #1  
700R4 Questions

'89 Suburban 5.7 TBI ...
Transmission is rebuild with 130,000 miles.
What are the symptoms of failing TCC solenoid?
I've noticed that my truck is disengaging the clutch at highway speeds when going over hills, overpasses etc... (sounds like downshift) I'm also feeling a very slight quick surging (feels like, but is not, sporadic engine miss).
Just had new exhaust system put on and can hear the shift now. I've never noticed it in the past.
I disconnected the TCC and engine seemed to have plenty of power in the same situations. Is the solenoid located in the transmission? How bad a job is it to change out?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-13-02, 05:50 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Right under the pan and very easy to change as I recall.

Sure sounds like it's sticking. They are cheap. Worth a try.

Visiting Guest

08-14-02, 11:23 PM   #3  
knuckles
Before you pull the pan, get a can of K&W Trans-X.

The most common cause of GM TCC "failure" is dirt on the valve itself. Trans-X will often clean the valve & restore proper TCC operation. Best of all it only costs about $5, so you're not out much if it doesn't work.

LA

08-16-02, 02:26 AM   #4  
Thanks guys!
Knuckles, I'll give it a try with the trans-X, but I've never had much luck with the additives before.
I wonder if these autotrans can be fitted with a remote oil filter?
I like the set up Saturn has with the drain plug and external filters on the tranny. I wonder if you put a spin on filter on one of the cooling lines to the radiator and a drain on the pan how well it would work. Changing the trans oil and filter is a really messy pain. Any opinions?

Visiting Guest

08-16-02, 12:09 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Lol. You can "cheat" by taking the fluid lines off the radiator and pumping the fluid into a pan by starting it up.

It pays to take the pan down, as the filter is in there. I would avoid those hokey relocation kits. More chance for leaks.

Search this Thread