a/c help

Old 08-14-02, 11:33 AM
a/c help

i have a 98 plymouth voyager and I did some work on the a/c system a while back. i would like to inject the die from the local auto parts store to see if there are any leaks before i take it in for a charge . the system has been charged once by someone else. is there any special precautions with using the die and how do i do it. also, how long does it take to see if there is a leak. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-02, 12:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's low on freon, there is a leak. It must be fixed before you recharge the system or it will leak again.

Look for signs of oil stains around fittings and O rings. If you find any, that's the offending problem. Replace them all.

I do not suggest A/C repair be done by the home mechanic without the proper tools.

Old 08-15-02, 09:06 AM
You might be able to find the leak faster using the dye... if you don't mind something basically useless flowing around your system once you find the leak.

I don't believe there are any special procedures or techniques to doing the dye. Just inject it on your low side and use a black light to find the leaks. I'm assuming you are getting a die that glows under black light. But you don't have to. Although you may want to if the potential leaks are on dirty parts. It's hard to see dye if it's on grease and grime, but it's easy to see if it glows under the black light.

But Joe is right. If you know it has a leak, it's probably an o-ring or seal, or even one or both of the charge ports (they are changable and cheap). O-rings and seals are pretty easy to change (unless it's your compressor shaft seal you need to change, of course). A dye leak test won't tell you much if your evaporator is leaking (unless you can actually see your evaporator).

But even then.... after the o-rings/seals are changed..... it's not just as simple as put it together and charge 'er up. A long deep vacuum needs to be pulled on an r-134 system to get out all of the moisture and air. Otherwise you're just going to ruin the entire system eventually.

You could use r-134 to flush out the air (by charging on the low side and........................(venting)................... on the high side. But that's certainly not good enough to get out the moisture as well as a vacuum. If you want to have the a/c working in this van for a long time, I'd fix the leak and then take it in for a vacuum and charge. (Hey wait, I seem to remember you saying something like that).

Ok, I'll quit blabbing.