Won't start (electrical)

Old 08-14-02, 03:24 PM
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Won't start (electrical)

My 1988 Chrysler 5th Avenue has begun dying on me out of the blue. But after the car sits awhile it will suddenly start. As if it hits a certain temp and decides "I quit!" Have changed the ignition coil and am guessing it likely to be the electronic ignition module. But where is it?!? I have a car book but there is nothing on my car (especially on the firewall) that looks like any of the pics in the book. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-02, 03:42 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
Have you checked for fire & fuel when this occurs? If there is no fuel pressure it is probably a fuel pump or relay. If there is no fire it could be a crank sensor or the ignition module. I assume it is fuel injected, the module sits on top of the engine or is on the left fenderwell.

Old 08-15-02, 05:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The pickup in the distributor is a know problem area on these Chryslers. I suggest you pitch that for a new one for starters.

Old 08-15-02, 01:07 PM
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Won't start - electrical

Fuel is fine. Fire is the problem. That's why I also am assuming it's the ignition module. The car is not fuel injected. I bought the new ignition module and it looks like the one in the book - but I swear there is NOTHING on my car that even remotely resembles that part! Where in the heck could it be?!? There is no plug I can see that would fit either. HELP!!

Old 08-15-02, 01:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most Chryslers don't have ignition modules like a GM or a Ford. The function is part of the onboard computer.

However, as I mentioned they DO have a pickup and they DO go bad. I would change it and see what you get.

Old 08-15-02, 04:41 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
Joe is prbably right, quite a few do go bad. The computer is in one of the two places mentioned above. check for fire from the coil to the distributor, if there is fire it could be the distributor cap or rotor button problem.

Old 08-15-02, 05:42 PM
if its a full size chrysler with a v-8 engine carburated the ignition module/computer is mounted to the aircleaner it is called chryslers lean burn system, and could likely be the problem or the pickup could also be the problem.

Old 08-16-02, 12:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I reread the post and realized we might be talking about a 318 rear drive model, in which case BeJay is right.

FOLKS: YOU MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST POST FULL INFORMATION IF WE HAVE ANY CHANCE TO HELP!!!!

Old 08-16-02, 04:43 PM
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Red face Won't start - electrical

Joe, you are absolutely correct. It is a 318 with rear wheel drive. I apologize for not giving enough info. And I have read your guidelines - I have no excuse other than I was trying not to write a book about it! But once again, you are absolutely correct. The more info we post, the more likely we are to get good advise, rather than just educated guesses. I will let you know what I come up with. Thanks again.

Old 08-16-02, 07:22 PM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
That an old Chry 318 Lean Burn Syst. EAT MY LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Had and ing. braking down on hot eng at road speed. Found out i had bad brushes in Alt. Yes put a set of brushes in Alt. and the car ran like a top. Come to find out the Lean Burn COmp gets it power for one of the alt. brushe. AND THAT IS THE REST OF MY STORY !!!!!!!!!!!!Hope this helps someone. 50cent brushes ???? Good LUck ---Dave--------

Old 08-23-02, 05:57 PM
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Won't start - electrical

Got the new pick up coil but before I start..I heard something about testing the pick up using a hair dryer. Anybody know this trick? Any other suggestions for tackling this pickup? Guess I'm going to replace it but seems a little tricky. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Old 08-24-02, 02:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Should be easy to do, I don't remember any trouble with that one.

Old 08-30-02, 06:31 PM
Night__Bird
Visiting Guest
Cool Won't start (electrical)

Thank you all so very much! It appears as if the pick up in the distributor was the problem all along because I changed it last weekend and it hasn't died on me all week long. Just wanted you to know you were all right and I very much appreciate the help. Thanks again!!