oil flush

Old 08-14-02, 01:56 PM
SAMSAM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb oil flush

I use a certain kind of engine flush on my 88 caddy sedan deville. The flush said to add to oil, let run for 5-10 minutes, and then drain oil and change filter, which I did. I then notice some creamy peanut butter colored-like goo inside the crankcase and on the oil cap, which I figured the flush treatment had probably lifted some dirt and other stuff up but did not actually flush it out. I added new oil and filter but now when I checked my oil the other day, my dip stick came out that same creamy peanut butter color. I was thinking that I may need to have my engine flushed at a professional GM repair shop along with a oil change. My car runs sluggish and even cuts off after running awhile, there is white smoke coming from the tailpipes and when trying to restart my car it sometimes won't start; I have to let it sit awile before trying again. I recently replaced the alternator, battery, thermostat, had radiator rodded out and as I said did the engine flush and changed oil and filter(which no doubt will have to be done again). If any one have an ideal of what's happening please give advise.

Old 08-14-02, 02:47 PM
Baldguy
Visiting Guest
Head Gasket

Unfortunately, it sure sounds as if you've got a leak in the head gasket.

The head gasket seals the water jacket from the cylinders. If you have a leak in the gasket, it allows water (coolant) to pass into the cylinders. Since water doesn't combust, it turns to steam during the combustion process and passes out the tailpipe. This is the white "smoke" you're seeing.

On a Caddie, I'm not sure it's something I'd try to replace myself. On my old 88 Toyota Pickup, I changed the gasket three times. Much simpler setup I'm thinking.

You might have to see your mechanic on this one. He/she can test for this by pressure testing the cooling system.

Are you seeing an increase in the amount of coolant you're having to add?

Old 08-14-02, 11:20 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I agree w/ Baldguy.

I'd also add that the 4.1 in your Caddy is probably one of the biggest pieces of junk that GM ever made. It's trouble prone & expensive to repair.

If you're really in love with your car, consider swapping in a later model 4.5L. It's pretty much a bolt-in deal if you get the 'right' engine. Otherwise, you'd be money ahead to get rid of the car.

Old 08-15-02, 03:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yep water

Yes it sounds like water is getting in to the oil not a good deal check your water it probbably will show low.

Old 08-15-02, 05:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Knuckles: There is no 1988 4.1 liter in a Deville. They are all 4.5 liter. 1987 is the last 4.1 in a Deville.

Original poster: Yes, you have a blown head gasket. Rebuild time (at least the upper half).

Old 08-15-02, 10:05 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the exclusive headgasket club!!!

I agree with everyone here on not doing it yourself. these newere fuel injected/smog controlled motors will give you a headache, and it will become a backet case gauranteed!!

Old 08-15-02, 10:50 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Cool my mistake

I had it in my head that the 4.5L made its debut in 1989.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: