Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Neon Rear Brake Locked

Visiting Guest

08-15-02, 10:21 PM   #1  
mht001
96 Neon Rear Brake Locked

I have a 96 Neon with manual transmission and no ABS. When it is parked for several days, the brakes tend to freeze up a little, but they usually break loose easily and everything seems to work fine. This time, after breaking free, I drove half a block, stepped on the brakes, and heard a loud clunking sound. I then managed to back it up into the driveway and set the parking brake. After work, I tried to move it, but the right rear brake was completely locked up. I don't really want to fix it myself, but is there a way I can free it to get it to a shop without having it towed there?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

08-16-02, 04:53 AM   #2  
You can try removing the wheel and banging on the drum a couple of times with a hammer. Can also bang the back of the backer plate, but be careful you don't hit the brake line or bleeder. Also make sure car is well supported and not just sitting on the jack. Might get lucky. Sounds like the parking brake mechanism is hanging up or might have broken something. If in doubt, have it towed. BTW, probably not a good idea to have backed it into the driveway; with a frozen rear wheel, will have to be towed from the back.

Search this Thread