Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Won't kick into drive

Visiting Guest

08-16-02, 09:12 AM   #1  
Chevy86
Won't kick into drive

Have a 1986 Chevy pickup C-10 with a 350, V-8, automatic, 2 wheel drive. Had to fix drive shaft due to falling out of truck. Now for some reason truck won't kick into drive. Can only reach speed of about 25. If I try to go any faster it kicks out and can only coast it till it kicks back in. Work before and even after I fixed drive shaft once before. I have replaced transmission filter as well. I did detect what looked like plastic in the transmission fluid pan. Can someone please tell me what else could cause this and what to do to repair this problem???

Last edited by Chevy86; 08-16-02 at 09:30 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-16-02, 12:04 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like internal failure of the tranny if you are finding pieces of it in the pan . Might be the parking sprag or other internals.

Visiting Guest

08-16-02, 07:17 PM   #3  
Chevy86
Would this problem be worth fixing and either way would it be costly?

08-16-02, 07:24 PM   #4  
depends on what the truck is worth to you it is gonna need a complete rebuild or replaced with a remanufactured transmission,
you can buy them exchange and install it yourself and would save a little but you may not want to tackle this job yourself.
call around different transmission shops and get some prices and determine if you want to fix it or not.

Visiting Guest

08-17-02, 07:03 AM   #5  
Chevy86
Thanks guys for your help. I don't think we will be putting the money or effort into it.

Search this Thread