1960 sprite steering rack rebuild

Old 08-16-02, 10:45 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
1960 sprite steering rack rebuild

Im taking a real long shot here. Anyone rebuilt a RHD "bugeye" AH sprite steering rack? I cant get the ball housings unscrewed from the rack what sort of tool (aside from the impossible to get factory one) can do this? Would one of those self gripping wrenches afford a firm enough grip ? Thanks for your help-Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-02, 03:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Don't rebuild steering components yourself without the proper tools, service procedures and know how. It could be a dangerous combination.

A-1 Cardone should be able to rebuild this oddball most likely an "R&R" of the existing one. Most of the internals are industry standard type parts, even for a strange duck like that one.

If not, there are places in Hemmings magazine that rebuild parts like that for old British cars. Worth a look and the expense.

Old 08-17-02, 11:59 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Joe I have british leyland and haynes manuals both pretty comprehensive on rebuilding. Its rack and pinion steering and ive already gotten all the standard wear parts from Moss new tie rod ends new locknuts .003 shims .010 shims new damper pads and springs. I bought the strap wrench tool today but had no time to check it out. There are three shallow splines on the outside of the ball housing. AH made a special tool to dissasemble them but youd never find one today so hopefully this will do it as i need to examine the inner ball joint and housing for wear and shim for proper backlash. British cars are simple to work on for the most part. to really scare you... i rebuilt all braking components.. and im adding a twin rotor blower ... ill see if i get an A on my work Josh