Wheel weight

Old 08-17-02, 07:00 PM
Wheel weight

I have heard that if you reduce the total amount of wheel weight you can incress your horsepower.I have a 2003 Matrix and I might get a new set of wheels,If the stock wheel is 23 pounds do you think an 18 pound whould make any diffreance since you would have to spin less mass.In theroy it makes sense less weight more power and better gas mileage.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-02, 01:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No. Stick with the OEM weight configuration or you will get woobles, shimmies and worn tires. Each weight is configured for THAT specific wheel and its deviation from stock.

Old 08-18-02, 07:26 AM
OK Joe

OK joe I thought I would just ask a pro on what they thought of the subject.
I was thinking of a good high quality set of rims and tires like Centerline might spruce up my Toyota Matrix and give me a little more power and gas mileage.Not that it is bad now but every little bit helps.
What do you know about cold air induction lots of guys on the Matrix Fourm are getting it.I dont want to void the warrinty and would get a TRD setup approved by Toyota.

Old 08-18-02, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No. Hokey and zero benefit. If you MUST get performance parts, only use TRD ones as they are designed and approved by Toyota.

As for aftemarket rims, again, each specific rim is balanced accordng to deviation from spec.

Old 08-18-02, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Joe...I think what Dan means by wheel weights is the actual weight of the wheel, not the balancing weights. It does make sense that a lighter wheel would accelerate more quickly than a heavier wheel. How much difference there would be is another question. I don't know.

Old 08-19-02, 03:16 AM
I did mean rim and tire weight

I am here to clarify myself I did mean rim and tire weight like cheese said and not the lead balance weights.

Old 08-19-02, 03:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True, but it's doubtful you'd see anything real in numbers if you did that.

Mods have to be done in packages so that they will benefit each other, rather than standalones.

Old 08-19-02, 08:43 PM
I don't think you will see much in the way of performance, BUT...

You will see a slightly faster suspension response, as the wheel is unsprung weight, the less weight there, the faster the wheel will respond to road. But going from say, 23 to 18 lbs isn't really that much (for what you will pay for it). Unless you are ready to do the whole package, lighter brakes and hubs, calipers, etc..