89 mustang part?

Old 08-17-02, 07:58 PM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
89 mustang part?

Yes, I have a question for all, I have a 89 mustang 4cyl. There is a little black box right to the left of the steering wheel under the dash, it has a wire harness going into it, one of the terminals on the box is fried. What I want to know is what it is for and what it is. So I can trace that wire easier, and replace the little box. This all started when my car stoped running on me, and I took the dist. cap off and the little button on the cap broke off, I put a new cap and rotor on it, it still would not crank. Reason being because there is no power going to the coil. In trying to figure that out, I found the black box. The car was running fine, until I hooked the a/c back up. Could that have anything to do with the problem that Im having, is the a/c someway connected to the ignition system? Or was it just a coincidence? Oh yea, the only thing the box has on it is some numbers and TRW on it, and my book doesnt have this part in it, and any help would be helpful.....thanks.....

Old 08-18-02, 01:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be the ECM or the wiper delay module or the seat belt chimer .

Take any numbers you find on it to any Ford dealer's parts counter and they will cross it in their system and tell you what it is and what the function is.

Old 08-18-02, 02:00 PM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
Well, what relation does the a/c system have with the ignition system? if any........

Old 08-18-02, 10:16 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Does this particular box have a flat, white multi-pin electrical connector?

If so, it's the a/c controller. It controls the a/c clutch and the electric cooling fan. It's not directly tied to the ignition system. FYI, Mustangs and other Fords of this era were known for shorted cooling fan motors. When the motor shorts, it melts the connector at the a/c controller & smokes the controller as well.

The a/c controller is fed by fuse links L and H. The ignition system is fed by fuse links A and N. HOWEVER, both fuse links H and N are powered through the ignition switch, so your problem could be there.

It's quite possible that you have a short in your a/c system that has damaged an adjacent circuit or the ignition switch itself.

With the ignition key in the "on" position, test for power at the Red/Light Green wire at the ignition coil.

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-19-02, 10:10 AM
kdogg
Visiting Guest
Well, I have checked for juice at the coil from the hot wire to the coil with the key on, nothing. About the cooling fan, I dont know who did it, but somebody hooked the fan straight to the hot wire of the coil, so when you turn the key on, the fan comes on. I guess it had problems normally. Well, I called the dealership and they could identify 2 little boxes I have but not the 3rd. One box is white with 7 metal flat pins sticking out of it(10d840)this one also has a bracket on it that 2 relays attach to. One box is brown with 10 round pins on it(17c476). The last box, with the burnt part is black with 8 pins, but this is like a computer board connector, not like a normal connector. each one numbered 1-8. Its connector is like a video card connector, it doesnt have pins like normal connectors. Is that the one thats for the a/c?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: