Code 54 on my Camaro

Old 08-18-02, 11:15 PM
Code 54 on my Camaro

Hey Joe,

1989 Camaro, 305, VIN E (TBI). I just got a 54 code, or "Fuel Pump Circuit" yesterday.

Today, I went to start my car. It started, then stumbled, then stalled. I went to restart it, and it sounded like a car that ran out of gas - key turned to start the car, engine cranking, but no actual starting of the engine. I popped the hood, and gave a cursory check. Nothing found, at least this early on. I got back into my car, then attempted to start it, this time pushing on the accelerator about three quarters of the way down. It finally started, but the idle was VERY rough for about ten seconds. Then, it came back up to normal idle rpm and smoothness. I took it for a short drive, then came right back.

My haynes manual states that a code 54 would indicate the fuel pump relay, circuit, and connections. Also, oil pressure switch (I have a brand new one in there now). Where would I start, and how can I check these components? The haynes doesn't really say........What would be the most probable source of my problem?

Thanks!!

Maitai

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-02, 03:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start by checking your fuel pressure with a gauge. See what that tells you. Could have a fuel pump problem or a faulty relay that quits at times.

Old 08-19-02, 11:30 AM
I think I got it.......

Thanks Joe

Actually, I did a fuel pump test by jumping out the ALDL connector.......The pump definitely works, although I have not yet checked the fuel pressure.........Is there a schrader valve somewhere here?

What I did find, tho, was this: I removed the relay connector and examined the wiring. The wires were solidly connected, but there was one glaring difference - the insulation on the wires had shrunk back (probably due to heat) - in some cases almost two inches!!! I believe that the close proximity of the wires probably made it easy for two wires to touch, thus creating the short. I taped up the exposed wiring until I can change out the connector pigtail.

The car starts right up now. I hope this is the problem - I do not want to have to drop that fuel tank!!!

Old 08-23-02, 05:52 PM
Question Help, again

Hey,Joe

Well, I replaced the pigtail, and the fuel pump relay. An aside to this, and completely unrelated, was that I had a no-charge situation with my charging system - turned out to be loose housing bolts on my alternator............

...............However, I am still having problems with my fuel circuit. In the mornings, when the engine is cold, my engine will start and make a rough chug-a chug-a chug-a sound. It runs rough like that until the engine gets to operating temp, then runs fine. Then, during the heat of the day, the car starts fine and runs normally...........What's the next step on this one?

Maitai

Old 08-24-02, 03:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What sensors and tuneup items have been changed?

As I remember, this car has had quite a history

Old 08-24-02, 06:40 PM
Tune Up/Sensor items

Heavy duty iginition components: MSD Ignition, plug wires, cap, rotor, blaster coil. Platinum plugs. O2 Sensor, PVC, crank case breather, K&N air filter, EGR Valve, EGR Solenoid, Fuel pump relay, new alternator. knock sensor.

I know she has her problems, but i still love her

Thanks Joe!!

Old 08-24-02, 10:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How about the coolant and air charge sensors? They may be bad and cause the computer to misread the temperature and adjust the mixture too lean or rich.

Old 08-25-02, 07:00 AM
Thanks Joe,

I'll check into those and let everyone know how I made out......

Maitai