Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Overheating

Visiting Guest

08-20-02, 05:31 AM   #1  
lovmytoyota
Overheating

I recently relocated to Ohio from Wyoming and drove my '88 Toyota pickup. No problems...until now. Approx. 6 weeks after relocating, the temp gauge is fine (mid-range) for the first 5-10 minutes of driving and then hits the top range. I am the only owner/driver and had an excellent mechanic in Cheyenne (Kent Pepper, Advanced Auto). We have checked oil and coolant. Both are fine and Kent replaced the radiator hose before the trip. I'm clueless at this point and don't want to take the Toy truck to just anyone. But don't want to cause damage by driving it with the temp indicator at the top of the range. Any suggestions???

Sponsored Links

08-20-02, 05:46 AM   #2  
Have you checked/replaced your thermostat? It may be sticking in the closed position.

Kay

Visiting Guest

08-20-02, 08:30 AM   #3  
lovmytoyota
kaybyrd,

Thanks for the input...haven't yet, but am about to call former mechanic -- I'll ask him.

08-20-02, 08:47 AM   #4  
He may not actual know at this point. They seem to go out whenever they choose. I just make it a point to replace mine once a year. They're not expensive.

Oh, just a note: if you replace it, please dont 'good n tight' the bolts into the thermostat housing. The housing tabs will break easily.

Kay

Visiting Guest

08-20-02, 08:49 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Service the cooling system with new belts and hoses, as well as a coolant flush and new thermostat. Should be fine.

Search this Thread