check engine light is on

Old 08-20-02, 09:41 AM
joelq
Visiting Guest
Question check engine light is on

I have a Mitsubishi Montero 1998. My problem the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON , my mileage on this SUV 55,220 mi. A couple a week ago i had oil & filter changed.

I had this problem 2 times already and this is the 3rd time. The last 2 i brought it to Mitsubishi Service to erase or reset it. Is there any way I can do it myself. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-02, 09:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, it requires a scanner to clear the codes. You might try to see if an Autozone store will do it for you. They usually do code reading for free. They might be able to reset it.

Old 08-20-02, 09:51 AM
joelq
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up THANKS JOE

THANK YOU.

Old 08-20-02, 08:49 PM
elfrogo
Visiting Guest
Im, not sure if this works for Mitsubishis, but some cars, you can just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for a few minutes and the computer will clear and reset. Then put the terminal back on and if you don't have any problems, it should turn it off.

If it comes back on, go to AutoZone and have them run the diagnostic. It's free and a lot less hassle than going to a mechanic.

If you really want to get to know your car, buy a manual or go to the library and find a Haynes or Chilton manual for your car. Many cars now have a self diagnostic program you can check yourself. For my car, I disconnect the negative terminal from the battery, reattach it, turn the key a few times, do the hokey pokey, sneeze, stand on my head, implode, and cross my fingers and WALA! The dash lights flash a certain number of times and give me the code for the problem.

But it's a lot easier to go to AutoZone.

Good luck!