charging the AC

Old 08-20-02, 01:15 PM
charging the AC

I am having a hard time charging my AC. It's R-134a, and the I'm using a can with the charging attachment on it. Is it supposed to charge very slowly or am I doing it wrong?

Israel

P.S. The mini-van is doing well after the head gasket job I did--thanks for the help! Now the tranny's starting to slip. It's always something.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-02, 09:59 PM
Are you recharging a system or just topping it off? Give auto info and more details of problem and you'll probably get more responses.

R-134 is a lot more particular system than the old R-12. You can't just "shove it in there" like we used to do. If your having problems you either have too much R-134 in it already, have problems with your AC or problems with your equipment.

Old 08-21-02, 05:25 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Refrigerant just CANNOT be added without gauges!!!!! And as Dirty Dan mentioned, tell us

Old 08-21-02, 06:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

WHOA NELLEY! Stop it right there.

As others have mentioned, we need more detail.

A/C work is NOT for the home mechanic without the proper tools and procedures!!

Also, you have a leak if you have to add refrigerant. That must be found and fixed as well.

Old 08-22-02, 07:53 AM
I was topping off, I guess. The AC didn't seem as cold as it should be. Could be my belt is too loose.

Israel

Old 08-22-02, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

You cannot "top off". Overcharging is just as bad as having little or nothing. The refrigerant might be fine, there could be problems elsewhere!

First of all, if you "top off" that means there is a leak. That must be rectified. It is a waste of time, money and material to put refrigerant in a leaky A/C system.

1) First, was the system converted to R134A and converted properly? You cannot mix R12 and R134A.

2) Do you have A/C gauges to monitor the pressures? If not, you need to buy them or bail out and have it professionally done. AC work is not for the novice. You have to know what's going on in there to know how to fix it.

3) Pitch the belts for new ones. Never skimp on the cheap stuff. You'll wind up doing it twice. Only use quality Gates or Dayco replacements.

Old 08-22-02, 06:28 PM
I just put on a Dayco belt, and I had a hard time putting it on--not much space. I left out a locking nut to get it to fit. I know, not a good idea, but it wouldn't fit.

Israel

Old 08-23-02, 03:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The belt will likely loosen without the locking nut in place, so put it back.

The belt must be tight for the A/C to work well.