Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 mercedes 300e power seat

Visiting Guest

08-22-02, 08:04 AM   #1  
josh1
89 mercedes 300e power seat

the passenger side power seat ( 3 switches one headrest one for height and angle and forward and one for tilt) will only work the headrest up and down reliably. The other two switches work intermittently with the forward sliding ability working not at all. Sometimes the seat will go back but not forward sometimes you press the switch it does nothing. It doesnt seem to me like a motor malfunction due to the intermittentness. Is this characteristic of a switch failure. The replacement switch is $80 so I hate to waste money but I dont know how to test the switch... its got around 15 wires coming and going a bit more than single pole stuff I work with.

Thanks for ideas-Josh

PS the "forward/back " function... sometimes if I press the switch to go back farther all i hear is a slight clunkish sound. I believe the seat is already back as far as possible and Ive cleared the tracks which did have quite a few pens in them.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-22-02, 08:59 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Have you tried to spray the switch with electronic contact spray to see if it frees up and works better?

Visiting Guest

08-22-02, 09:04 AM   #3  
josh1
ill give that a try electronic contact spray. I can get that at napa? Thanks-Josh

Visiting Guest

08-22-02, 09:05 AM   #4  
Joe_F
More than likely, yes. Or any Radio Shack or electronics supplier too.

Visiting Guest

08-22-02, 06:59 PM   #5  
josh1
a little fiddling with the slide controls after much head scratching about getting it apart and spraying with the electronic spray ($3) 3/4 are working. the 4th works as soon as i spray it but dies by the time i reassemble. New switch as soon as I get time. Im getting good at taking it apart from practice. Thanks again. -Josh

MI

08-23-02, 07:02 PM   #6  
Those switches are robust and can handle disassembly. Anyhow, it looks like you've narrowed it down and found the problem, and your choice is to either repair the part yourself or replace it.

Search this Thread