How to charge AC

Old 08-22-02, 09:23 AM
Ultimatellama
Visiting Guest
Question How to charge AC

I have a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The AC resently discharged. I bought a recharge package which included the R134a fluid, on/off valve, hose with fittings, and a gauge to test pressure. There are warnings all over the directions to make sure I test and fill in the "low" pressure line. When I look at it, how do I know which line is the low-pressure line?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-02, 10:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

You need the proper professional gauges to do the repair right. You might be able to rent those from Autozone.

You also must find and correct the source of the refrigerant leak or the "repair" is for naught in a jiffy. There's a leaky O-ring at minimum somewhere.

I do not suggest AC repair for the home mechanic without the proper tools and service procedures. More damage than good can be done.

Old 08-23-02, 01:10 PM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
JoeF is giving you very good advice. Follow it!!
The single gauge you have CAN work, but it will be a pain in the butt to keep connecting it from the low press to the high press lines to check pressures while your filling. Not good.
The low pressure vapor line is the one that runs from the evaporator to the compressor. Somewhere along this line is your low pressure fitting for filling. (it may be on the accumulator or along the line).
Be sure and fill with the can upright (gas). I use a heating pad wrapped around the can to help get the gas out quicker.
But as JoeF says, you have to know what pressures to go by when filling. Or else you'll be picking parts of your A/C system out of the garage ceiling. You can get this info. from a Helms manual. Some libraries have them.
In as much as you say your system is discharged, it no doubt has air in it. So you'll have to vacuum the system first otherwise you're just wasting your time. You can rent a vacuum pump.
I think that by the time you screw around you'll fine it cheaper and more convienent to have it done.

Old 08-23-02, 02:23 PM
a/c

Just to let you know Jeep Grand Cherokees eat evaporators.So have it checked.I also suggest letting a pro handle this repair a/c work can be dangerous for someone without the proper knowledge.Refrigerants must be handled carefully.