Tune Up

Old 08-23-02, 10:03 AM
DarkWanderer
Visiting Guest
Tune Up

I don't know if it matters what type of car you drive but I just got a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer. Its the first car I actually care about since all my last ones were junkers. I know you should have an oil change every 3000 miles but how often should you have a tune up and around how much should they cost? Thanks

~Chris~

Old 08-23-02, 12:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can have a look in the owner's manual maintenance schedule. Compare your driving habits to each class they have and that's the schedule you follow.

Old 08-23-02, 04:18 PM
DarkWanderer
Visiting Guest
On the manual it states a few things for every 3000 miles but nothing of the words "Tune Up"

Old 08-23-02, 05:45 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
"tune-up" can include the following...

- replace spark plugs
- emission service
- air filter
- fuel filter

etc.

Look for these being mentioned at different intervals in the maintenance schedule.

Old 08-23-02, 06:22 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's a suggested schedule

I don't think you'll see the word "tune-up" used anymore. Until you get the exact manufacturer-recommended information, the following schedule should be used:

Every 15,000 miles: ($10, do it yourself)
- replace air filter

Every 30,000 miles: (~$300, "emissions tune-up")
- replace fuel filter
- replace spark plugs
- replace pcv valve
- replace coolant (flush & fill)
- replace trans fluid & filter

Every 60,000 miles: ($300-500)
- replace timing belt (a MUST for interference engines)

Every 2-3 years: (~$100?)
- replace brake fluid

Everything else should be done on an as-needed basis. Not many people include brake fluid in their schedule.... I think it's all-important, especially to people who care about their cars. I don't know if you have an interference engine.... most japanese engine are interference engines. I'm sure there are more "must-do" items others can think about, but the above list is a good start.

Old 08-23-02, 08:08 PM
DarkWanderer
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot for your help guys. Tomorrow I'll take a look at the book as I am getting ready for bed and don't feel like going out to the car for the book. =) But thanks a bunch. I am going to try and do somethings myself oil change...as kestas said air filter. If theres anything that should most definilty left to a mechanic pelase tell me before I break something =) Thanks

Old 08-24-02, 07:56 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you do yourself depends on your comfort level with working on cars. Some people have no problem rebuilding an engine whereas others shouldn't be even topping off the fluids!

Old 08-24-02, 04:29 PM
dlalexander
Visiting Guest
Make sure you keep records (reciepts, etc..) of ALL the work you do on the car yourself, or have done at an independant garage. If something should go wrong (knock on wood ), the dealership will insist on these for warranty work! ( I know these things because I work for one!)

Old 08-24-02, 04:55 PM
DarkWanderer
Visiting Guest
Alex - Thanks a lot for that pointer. When you say records shouod I keep a record on top of the reciept of what I did. Lets say I write down just on a sheet of paper that I did something at 3:15 pm on 5/10/09 or does the receipt from the part I part enough?

Old 08-24-02, 10:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Keep any receipts for parts you buy in a folder and write the date and mileage on them. Keep them in order and organized.

In this way if there are any questions, you have the receipts to back up your claim.

You can also make notes in the owner's manual as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: