Bad Battery?

Old 08-23-02, 12:17 PM
Solitaire64
Visiting Guest
Bad Battery?

I have a '94 Mercury Topaz, V6,3.0L, ~15,600 miles(I don't drive much). When car is started first thing in the morning after about 12 hours idle, the battery is so weak, it barely starts. The mechanics find nothing wrong with it. They say battery and electrical system all ok. The battery is a 4 year old Motorcraft. This slow start doesn't happen every day, either. Sometimes battery sounds weak if I try to start car while the seat belt chime is still ringing. If I wait until it stops, the battery seems ok. Is this an accessory problem? I plan to go to another garage for a second opinion. Can anyone offer any ideas to help me get this fixed before winter gets here?
Thanks,
Solitaire64

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-02, 12:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the battery load tested and then the cables and connections checked.

4 years old on a battery is nearing some replacement time.

Old 08-28-02, 09:04 AM
Solitaire64
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe_F. I went to another garage, got a new battery(DieHard),the electrical/charging system checked fine and the cables and connections checked fine. Four days later, battery seems weak, again. What should I do next?
Solitaire64

Old 08-28-02, 05:45 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Diehards die easy and are crap. Use a Delco or Motorcraft.

Have it load tested and also checked for shorts/drains. Something is draining your system.

Old 09-01-02, 04:11 AM
Solitaire64
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe. The battery was dead first thing in the morning. Two hours later I tried to start the car again and it started with no problems. The mechanics now say it needs a new starter. The current starter was installed four years ago. We'll see if this is the answer to my starting problems. I'm starting to really hate Ford vehicles. Is there a reliable car out there or is it just the luck of the draw and good maintenance? I asked this same question to a Ford employee and he said Hondas are probably the most reliable. Ha Ha!

Solitaire64

Old 09-01-02, 08:31 AM
not that far off

You might want to reconsider Honda and Toyota do make some darn good cars.Never had a Honda but have had Toyota,they are super reliable.As far as your car do you maybe have a trunk light or something that stays on?Maybe you have a light in the engine compartment that stays on.

Old 09-01-02, 04:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The starter can be load tested to be sure it's ok. Most parts store starters are of lackluster quality as they are poorly rebuilt. A Ford rebuilt is better. A bad starter is feasible.

Yes, Ford products are also lackluster. Ford is #2 behind #1 GM for a reason .

Old 09-02-02, 03:22 AM
Solitaire64
Visiting Guest
Thanks Michael and Joe_F. I get the car back after Labor Day. I'll post again if I continue to have problems.

Solitaire64